Comparable Air Filter Recommendations

pharmwriter

Instead of paying an extra $79 to have my air filter replaced for the first time I decided to do it myself (which is really easy, BTW).

Any recommendations for a comparable air filter that I can get from an auto parts store (versus over the internet)?

I could also get it from a Toyota dealer, right?

I have an '08. Thanks in advance.

Instead of paying an extra $79 to have my air filter replaced for the first time I decided to do it myself (which is really easy, BTW).

Any recommendations for a comparable air filter that I can get from an auto parts store (versus over the internet)?

I bought mine at Pep Boys, looked exactly like the factory one I took out.. for 12.00, they always have them in stock at my store here in So Cal so easy enough to get locally.. I only use the net if I buy in bulk

I'm also wanting to replace my air filter, my car has 26,000 miles and I didn't know it had to be changed every 15k :rolleyes: how easy is it to change out? What do you have to do to do it? I just called the dealer and like you said, it was about 70 dollars, I'd like to save that if I could haha, Thanks!!

The air filter compartment is in the back of your glove box. All you need to do is remove the main filter door, then the secondary door, then pull out the filter. The instructions are toward the back of the manual, complete with illustrations. It's really simple. I figure the dealer charges $15 for the part and $64 for labor.

You were told 15K? I thought it was every 5K, or I guess whenever it needs to be done. I'm taking my car for my 10K service tomorrow, and I was quoted $151 by 3 dealerships, but only one dealer told me that it could be $230 if I need the air filter replaced.

Thanks for the tip Cmasten. Is there a brand of filter I should look out for at Pep Boys? Do you know if an aftermarket air filter void the warranty? I wouldn't think so, but you never know w/Lexus.

Thanks a lot pharmwriter, I checked the owners manual and found it, I actually just went and took it apart to see :cheers: but yeah I'm going to try to go to the local oriley's or something tomorrow and try and get a filter. Saved a bunch of money versus going to the dealer, idk why everything they do is so expensive!

• 4 weeks later...
The air filter compartment is in the back of your glove box. All you need to do is remove the main filter door, then the secondary door, then pull out the filter. The instructions are toward the back of the manual, complete with illustrations. It's really simple. I figure the dealer charges $15 for the part and $64 for labor.

You were told 15K? I thought it was every 5K, or I guess whenever it needs to be done. I'm taking my car for my 10K service tomorrow, and I was quoted $151 by 3 dealerships, but only one dealer told me that it could be $230 if I need the air filter replaced.

Thanks for the tip Cmasten. Is there a brand of filter I should look out for at Pep Boys? Do you know if an aftermarket air filter void the warranty? I wouldn't think so, but you never know w/Lexus.

Technically, that's the cabin air filter you're describing. The air filter is in the engine compartment. I just bought a pair from RockAuto.com. But, only 'cause I was restocking my garage with parts for my wife's es350 and my Tacoma - oil filters, cabin filters, air filters and surpentine belts. Otherwise, Pep Boys, or even Wallyworld filters will do.

• 3 months later...