Bad Idle Control Valve?

averona

My 95 ls400 (158,000 miles) has been making a single thumping or kicking sound when the engine fires. Also, when I put it into gear, it lurches or lunges forward. Other responses to this question have suggested it's the throttle cable or bad mounts. The mechanic, who has the car now, says he checked both of those things, but said it could be a bad idle control valve.

Would it need to be replaced or can you just clean it?

Thanks

My 95 ls400 (158,000 miles) has been making a single thumping or kicking sound when the engine fires. Also, when I put it into gear, it lurches or lunges forward. Other responses to this question have suggested it's the throttle cable or bad mounts. The mechanic, who has the car now, says he checked both of those things, but said it could be a bad idle control valve.

Would it need to be replaced or can you just clean it?

Thanks

It needs to NOT BE TOUCHED, and you need to replace those mounts! The throttle cable smooths out the shifts between 1-2 and 2-3 gears. The ICV controls your idle when you're sitting still. The thump and lurch is due to slack in your engine's seating...aka....the engine mounts! The car is 14 years old. Trust me, they're due to be replaced. I don't care if they "look" ok, I promise you, you're wasting your time hunting around for this with the original mounts still in there!