Cleaning Throttle Body

stroker

Doing some simple maintenance on my 91 LS and need to know what I should use to clean the throttle body without damaging any sensitive parts inside it. Read about Throttle Body cleaner and MAF Sensor cleaner and all kinds of other cleaners but it just gets more confusing the more products I look at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance, B.

I used a can of carb cleaner from price chopper and had no problems. The results were great. I don't think it matters too much as long as you just spray the butterfly valves and not any of the electrical stuff. I don't see a need to spend a bunch of money on some fancy MAF cleaner. Just use Carb cleaner. If you were cleaning the MAF sensor though, I would be very carefull on what you select and how you apply it. All I did was sprazy the carb cleaner directly on my butterfly valve, let it sit for a couple minutes and scrub. I had about 2-3 mm thick of carbon build up, so it took a little elbow grease.

I thought the 2-3mm of crud was an exaggeration on earlier posts...but right on. I am 1/2 done on with cleaning my TB and intake manifold ('96 LS400). I could bare to try and clean out the intake mounted, so I'm taking it off and cleaning it, but a little more involved that I planned.

The other component that was FILTHY was the EGRV valve assy. It took a little while to get it all of as it was pretty crusty, but now its nice and clean again...she is going to be breathing so much easier when its all back together :-)

I thought the 2-3mm of crud was an exaggeration on earlier posts...but right on. I am 1/2 done on with cleaning my TB and intake manifold ('96 LS400). I could bare to try and clean out the intake mounted, so I'm taking it off and cleaning it, but a little more involved that I planned.

The other component that was FILTHY was the EGRV valve assy. It took a little while to get it all of as it was pretty crusty, but now its nice and clean again...she is going to be breathing so much easier when its all back together :-)

great job! feels great huh? :)

great job! feels great huh? :)

It does...I also flushed the PS fluid, changed plugs and wires, and gave it an oil change! Not sure on the overall improvement, but your right, it feels great. I just got this car ('96 LS 400, 118k) and it is fun to see how its built.

Has anyone had their switch bulbs burn out? I think the three in my heated seat and TRAC buttons are burned out as they don't light when my lights come on. The dealer quoted $12 ea, I was hoping something closer to $1.20 :-)