Future Mod Plans And Lessons Learned From Dyno Tests

irishvol

What I've learned from the 3 Dyno tests we've run on my car is this:

1. "Ram air intakes" have little, if any, impact on power. In fact if not insulated against additional heat of intake gasses created by using the more heat absorbing metal (absorbs and retains heat from motor more than the stock plastic airbox) intake tube, may actually cause loss of power due to additional heat of intake gasses. That's why I wrapped my intake in insulation and built an insulated "cool box" around the air filter. It's not pretty and shiney but helps keep the intake cooler.

2. Most apparent effect of the intakes is the sound created. I think it sounds great!

3. Removal of the muffler made ZERO change in power. This tells us that the source of major power robbing back preassure is in the Cats and/or resonators. I know that low restriction Cats are available but I'm afraid of how they might affect passing emmissions testing. I now believe the resonators can be removed without major noise increase and some power increase. Some type of muffler will have to be used to keep the law away.

Now....having said all of this let me share my plans based on test findings.

At some point in the near future (house is being remodeled right now and wife has plans for ALL desposible income at present) I will have muffler and resonators removed and replaced with 3" straight pipes running into a pair of low restriction mufflers (Thrush, FlowMaster, etc.). I fully expect this to give some major power improvements in the neighborhood of 15 - 20 hp. This may take me a month or so to complete. It won't be all pretty and shiney like commercially sold "Catback" systems but I'm confident it will work and costs sould be in the neighborhood of $300.00.

When completed we'll run another Dyno test and advise of results.

My hope is to provide fellow SC folks with asmuch useful performance info as possible

PS Man, I just re-read all of this and DAMN....I can ramble on can't I!!

I agree short arms (as it has no ramming capability) are crap and should never be installed.

It can give you slightly quicker throttle response and can show slightly elevated numbers on a dyno but only because hte hood is open and getting cooler air. i don't drive with my hood open so it is gettign pure hot air instead. This reduces usuable power by retarding the timing.

Leave the cats and you should be fine.

Get a premade exhaust sytem with mandrel bends and it should free it up nicely.

The 1uz is a strong motor that make little noise under acceleration so don't worry about noise.