Towing Without The Tow Package

iankeller

I'm about to start towing with my 2004 RX 330 AWD, just had a Draw-Tite hitch installed. I'll be towing around 2000 lbs. I don't have the tow package so I'm missing the additional heavy duty alternator, transmission and oil cooling ad-ons.

My question is: since I'll be towing around the stated limit of 2000 lbs, should I be at all concerned? Other than changing the transmission fluid regularly, should I consider anything else?

Increasing the capacity would also be nice if possible, it doesn't take much to get up to 2000 lbs. I don't know if there are any good aftermarket solutions but advice is welcome.

Thanks.

So I did a bit of research and there are a lot of numbers out there.

- On this forum, 2000 lbs is often cited as the towing capacity for vehicles without the tow prep package.

- A service advisor at a local Lexus dealer just told me the towing capacity without the package is 2500 lbs.

- Customer service at Lexus USA researched it for me and came back with 2700 lbs.

Only one of those numbers is correct. The only number everyone can agree on is 3500 lbs, but that doesn't pertain to me.

Does anybody have any insight? Is an aftermarket transmission cooler a good idea? My warranty is up in a few weeks anyway.

Any ideas? I could use some help here.

I really cannot help: I got a 09RX350 AWD, which comes with the towing package, and thus is 'approved' by Lexus for 3500lbs. Does your manual have no info. on this? You've done the dealer/Lexus check, so I would 'go' with the lowest. As a complementary comment: my 99RX300 (also AWD) had rear engine seal problems, and the transmission is said to be weak; the former becuase of overheating, the latter a combination of overheating and part(s) that are too weak to tow or to be put to effort. If I can give any advice: 1. what do you wish to tow and weight 2. Check with Lexus whether that would be OK (in writing is better) 3. any time you can have cooler oil under load is better given the stated proclivity of the RXs to have a 'hot' lower engine.

Not much help, sorry... but I felt lonely for you... Good luck!

Thanks for the post. I'm towing a small boat, probably 1700 lbs completely dry, maybe max 2000 loaded with ice, fuel, water, etc. So I'm nowhere near the limit, but today was the first time I towed it and I can see how that could adversely affect the transmission. I was considering a slightly heavier boat but I opted for this one instead since I'm still happy with this car and don't want to push my luck with it and I'm not ready to upgrade yet. It's a 2004 with only 41k miles and it still treats me very well.

Thanks again, I'm surprised how quiet this forum is.

Thanks for the post. I'm towing a small boat, probably 1700 lbs completely dry, maybe max 2000 loaded with ice, fuel, water, etc. So I'm nowhere near the limit, but today was the first time I towed it and I can see how that could adversely affect the transmission. I was considering a slightly heavier boat but I opted for this one instead since I'm still happy with this car and don't want to push my luck with it and I'm not ready to upgrade yet. It's a 2004 with only 41k miles and it still treats me very well.

Thanks again, I'm surprised how quiet this forum is.

Actually, the forum is quite active, but with relatively few people (but there are a good few who are good) who focus on the technical side. There have been a long series of posts regarding the RX transmission, the bottom line being that the early (1999 and 2000) RXs, specially the AWDs, suffer from transmission problems because the transmissions have a weak component (and AWD and towing stress it). It is believed that Lexus has modified the component (planetary gear) but no-one seems to know when the change took place, so the jury, so to speak, is still 'out' on the (2001?), 2002 et sequ. models. This topic has been rehashed to death - many times - and it rises anew, so most people are tired of it. A member 'lenore' has done much work on this, and can be credited with photos of the 'old' piece and the 'modified' piece, and has explained the weakness.

What all this has to do with the neweer transmissions is open to debate, but the lingering feeling is that transmissions are a weak point of (all?) RXs, thus mention of towing / specially without the towing package / sounds like anathema.

I am sure some members will correct my statements, and this may bring your topic to lfe...

I did a lot of research before I posted and I could tell that the issue had been beaten to death. What intrigued me was that not once did I come across either of the numbers that I got from Lexus (2500# from the dealer and 2700# from the 800-number). Older posts on this forum refer to 2000# with such certainty and regularity that I assumed it was an official figure. Perhaps that is the official figure for the older models with the sissy planetary gear, but I couldn't find anything that indicated that.

What I was really hoping to get is a recommendation on whether an aftermarket transmission cooler is worth it in my scenario but I think I'll take my chances with the way it is since the load I am trailering is relatively small and it's not a daily occurrence. Hopefully the combination of regular maintenance and staying within even the most conservative limits will keep my transmission in good shape. Perhaps I'll repost at a later date with an emphasis on an aftermarket transmission cooler rather than on the towing capacity.

I'd feel better about it if I had another year on my original warranty but as it is I bought my boat yesterday and my warranty runs out next week. I don't believe in extended warranties, it's just an expensive form of insurance against a risk that I can afford to take myself. But I want to stack the deck in my favor, hence the lighter boat and maintenance diligence.

I would just take it easy, and remember to get the fluid drain and filled more often (use the severe duty mileage) Adding an additional tranny cooler wouldnt hurt....