My LS460 (Starfire Pearl) is five months old now. I have the Permaplate package and will get a new application of this in December. Is it okay to wax this vehicle? The dealer says I don't need to but I love to rub the back of my fingers on a freshly (hand) waxed finish, but fear the wax may interfere with the next Permaplate application. Any thoughts?

The Permaplate is nothing more than a glorified wax that is sold at a preposterous markup.

You absolutely can and should wax the car. Do you have to pay for the additional permaplate applications? If so don't spend another penny on it...

• 1 month later...
The Permaplate is nothing more than a glorified wax that is sold at a preposterous markup.

You absolutely can and should wax the car. Do you have to pay for the additional permaplate applications? If so don't spend another penny on it...

What wax or protectant do you suggest? and how often.

My dealer has Permaplate and it is now $1000 to be applied once per year for 5 years. I purchased it for my 06 SC430 for $400 for the life of the car and every 6 months. My wifes 07 LS460 needs something but not at those current prices.

I got your email as well, I'll respond here.

Look around the detailing forum. If you aren't interested in doing it yourself I would take that $1,000 and hire a professional detailer to wash your vehicle weekly, and to protect it quarterly.

It will probably cost you $25 a week or so for the wash, $150 on the quarters its protected, and $250 to get it started the first time, polish it out, shampoo the interior etc. You'll have a MUCH better cared for car than this stuff from the dealer will give you, and you won't ever have to even think about it.

If you want to try some or all of it yourself, everything you need to know is in the detailing forum ;)