A Not So Nice Letter To Lexus

This is a great informational site. I'm exceedingly happy that I found it, but I guess I'll have to start my very first post on this site with a bit of a rant..........

Don't get me wrong, I love my (ok......my wife's) SC430 (I get to fly the plane......she gets to drive the Lexus), but I have one very frustrating bone to pick with Lexus. I have combed the site for information regarding the possibility of overriding the motion lockout on the Gen4 / 8.1 iteration of the navigation DVD for the SC430 and have come up empty handed.

I know from browsing the threads here that many of you have expressed frustration with this issue, but has anybody else taken the time to "yell at" Lexus for it through their website contact information page?

Yes I know that the letter sounds a little (ok a lot) snobbish, but the more that I thought about their trying to play "parent" with me as well as all of the other owners as the child, the more irritated that I became.

Maybe I missed something and there is actually a "fix" out there for this issue. If so, then I guess I owe Lexus an apology for the following email that I sent out to them tonight:

I recently paid for an 8.1 update DVD for my 2006 SC430 navigation system. I would like to know why Lexus took it upon themselves to remove the override functionality from the system after this upgrade. I would never have applied the upgrade had I known this. I am furious to say the least. I DO NOT need Lexus to tell me whether I can have my passenger program a new route into my navigation system while we are driving down the interstate. The thing will not even allow my passenger to search for points of interest while on the move. This is unacceptable. I own seven businesses located in five states. I earn enough of an income to support this $70K automobile as well as an 11,000 square foot home (all paid for in full out of pocket I might add), for God sakes I'm an instrument rated pilot and fly a high performance, complex aircraft with more switches and buttons than you will find in any ten SC430s combined, and Lexus seems to think that I am incapable of making a decision where the programming of MY CAR's navigation system is concerned. Wrong answer!

On the way back to North Carolina from Chicago last week I had to stop beside of the road more times than I would like to remember just so that my wife could enter points of interest into the system (hotels, etc.). No luxury automobile should be this inconvenient.

I am not alone in this frustration as I am sure that you are well aware. I have done a google search and there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of people who are extremely upset about this. Take this bit of advise......listen to your customers if you want them to remain future customers.

I want to see a revision to the 8.1 navigation DVD to reinstate my ability to override the motion lockout on the navigation system as well as the telephone system. My having to take the extra step to disable the lockout is reason enough for Lexus to be protected from any possible litigation resulting from any possible accident caused by my programming the equipment at an inappropriate time.

My Mercedes doesn't have this frustrating bit of programming incorporated into it's navigation system. It has a simple disclaimer screen that I have to acknowledge when the vehicle is initially started. That is obviously enough to take care of any legal issues or Mercedes would not have set their system up in this manner.

I want an answer to this email.

I received a reply from Lexus today. I can not say that I am happy with the reply. Here it is:

Subject

8.1 Navigation DVD

Discussion Thread

Response (William Bergen) 05/05/2009 01:46 PM

Dear Mr. McKeithan:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. It is through input, such as yours, that we are able to gain greater insight as to how our customers perceive the products we sell.

Lexus makes every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability. At this time, there is no override available for the 8.1 navigation system to allow anyone to access the unit while the vehicle is in motion. For your safety, only when the vehicle is not moving, can the destination and route selection be accessed. We understand your dissatisfaction with this feature and Lexus does apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We have documented your concerns at Lexus National headquarters for future product consideration. We hope that your future interactions with us will reflect the high standards of quality that we strive to uphold.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

William Bergen

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

This is my reply back to Lexus.........

Yes I know that I am probably fighting a losing battle, but you never know unless you try.

Mr. Bergen,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my complaint. Please don't take my response personally as I am aware that you personally didn't have anything to do with Lexus' decision making process where this is concerned. As I stated in my email, I am not the only customer who is frustrated with this over stepping of the manufacturer's bounds. Lexus as a company does not need to play the role of my Father as if I were a teenager by dictating to me what I can and can not do with my vehicle. When I purchased the vehicle this was not an issue. I didn't write the check to purchase the car with the knowledge that one day my car was going to be partially disabled by the manufacturer. I don't see that Lexus has the right to disable any part of my vehicle without telling me prior to the fact and giving me the option of not going through with the "upgrade".

I am a private pilot. I fly a high performance Beechcraft Bonanza aircraft. I am instrument rated, hold a certification to fly both high performance and complex aircraft. My plane has 10 times the buttons and switches that any Lexus has installed in it. I have to make corrections to my navigation system (Garmin 530 WAAS) numerous times WHILE IN FLIGHT. I assure you that it is infinitely more complex than the navigation system in my SC430. What makes Lexus think that I am incapable of making changes to the simplistic navigation system in my SC430 when I decide that I want to do so?

The statement "For your safety, only when the vehicle is not moving, can the destination and route selection be accessed" is extremely offensive to me. I don't need Lexus dictating anything to me. I will decide what is safe for me and what is not.

I have a Mercedes ML500 also. It does not try to dictate safety to me. It has a disclaimer screen that prompts me to read it and then dismiss it if the vehicle is moving when I access the controls to change my destination or search for points of interest. After I dismiss the disclaimer screen, I am free to operate my vehicle and my navigation system in the manner that I deem safe (not the manner that Mercedes deems safe FOR ME). Lexus should take a lesson from Mercedes where this is concerned.

As I said, I would never have updated the navigation DVD in my car had I known about this foolishly decided upon assault on my freedom of choice. Now I am stuck with it and I am not at all happy. I am the type of person who will go on a crusade to let everybody on the planet know when I feel that something has been done that adversely affects me personally. Be on the look out for my posts all over the internet with regard to this. I won't be the only one posting. There are already hundreds if not thousands of others who are infuriated with Lexus for this very issue. I will only be one among many.

I don't appreciate a company who took my money for a product dictating to me how to use said product.

Rick, I applaud your efforts! I see your point of view, but i see theirs too in the stance of legal loopholes of any sort of liabilty tie back to them. Do i think they're overdoing it? Absolutely, especially since a person can just as easily buy a Garmin Nuvi for $100 and mess with it while driving as well. I certainly hope you are able to achieve the conclusion you seek.

Now, go hit Saltworks in the morning "the locals only one at bradley creek, not the tourist one on wrightsville", Docksides in the afternoon, and kick back on the porch in the evening for a guy who lived in Wilm for nearly 10 years, and miss it badly "as I sit in Chicago". I'd give just about anything to reclaim those days of running the "s" cut in the boat on the backside of Northern Figure 8 to the ICW. And, don't even get me going about that sweet flounder hole I use to hit on the back side of the southern edge of Figure 8/Shell Island new cut "although I hear it's filled back in again". The next time you're up my way, bring the MB, because I don't ride well in the trunk of an SC, especially for the 970 miles it takes to get back to Wonderfulton!

PS: Lexus did this lockout for the idiots driving around Chicago. Think about driving down Oleander on the 4th of July weekend, at 90mph....that's here everyday. :angry:

damn, i'm jealous of where you live!

PS: I'd take down your phone number from the posts though...you never know who trolls these sites sometimes...

nc211,

Thank you for the reply. I do live in Wilmington. I grew up in Myrtle Beach.

From your screen name I assume that you have some connection to HWY 211? There was a time years ago that I used to drive down it almost every day.

Saltworks is a great place to grab a bite on a summer afternoon.

J. Michael's Philly Deli is another great place to eat.........if you like Philly Cheese Steaks.

As I am sure that you already know from reading my first post, I was just in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I have a good friend there who flies a 777 for American Airlines. He flies the international routes out of O'Hare.

The next time that I am up your way I'll give you a heads up. The next time that you are down South, let me know and we'll grab a bite to eat......I'll even spring for it since you will have guest status while you're here. You know how hospitable we Southerners are.....

Thanks for the advise. I'll take the number down but as far the telephone number goes, it's listed on my business website anyway so I'm not very worried about who gets their hands onto it. I keep it there so that my employees will realize that customers actually do have a way of contacting me if they are not happy with the way that they were treated by said emloyees (I had a problem with an employee allowing her bad mood to spill over onto my customers a while back......not good for business).

Oh.......by the way, I do have a Garmin NUVI but I hate the thought of having to clutter my windshield up with it.......

You would think that if I can manage the avionics in these pictures, it should stand to reason that I should be able to handle the 430's navigation system...... :lol:

I guess I just have to complain about something and the only two things that I can find to complain about where the 430 is concerned is the navigation snafu and the lack of rain sensing automatic wipers. I guess I could complain about the lack of a factory XM radio, but at least there is a fix for that.

Oh.....and I actually enjoyed the Chicago highways (only because I don't have to drive on them every day). They drive 90 MPH there.........and I like to drive 90 MPH.

Take it easy,

Rick

post-93425-1241583424_thumb.jpg

post-93425-1241583455_thumb.jpg

post-93425-1241583491_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Guys,

f.y.i. here in Europe Lexus finally gave up the Navigation issue. With the last European Navi update (a set of 4 DVD's) we can now finally operate the navigation and the phone while driving without restriction. All we get is still the disclaimer screen to confirm when you start the engine. Similar to any other competitive car. Thats it. Keep knocking at Lexus door. With the sales down they have to listen to customers more than ever. Worked here finaly.