Strut Mount Installation

morx300

Does anyone know where I can get step-by-step instructions for replacing upper strut mounts on a 1999 RX 300?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

morx300

Morx300- Sorry, I don't have step by step instructions but it is so simple that you shouldn't need them. If you are used to doing mechanical work on your own vehicles, you should have no problem. If you don't do your own mechanical, you shouldn't even try this because it involves a spring compressor and removal of a dangerous part. Remove the 2 large bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle. Remove the 12MM bolt that holds the brake line to the strut. Remove the 3 bolts that hold the upper strut mount to the mounting pocket. I trust before you do any of this you have jacked the car up and put jack stands under the car and set the emergency brake. With those bolts out, you should be standing with the strut/spring assy. in your hand. Compress the spring with your choice of spring compressors, but first loosen the strut upper nut in the center of the upper strut mount. DO NOT TAKE IT OFF AT THIS POINT, only loosen half a turn. Once you have taken the pressure off the spring with the compressor so that the spring has NO pressure on the mount, finish taking the large center nut off. Simply reverse to reinstall. DO NOT ATTEMPT this if you are not mechanically experienced!!! No need to have it aligned once you're done, there is nothing for them to adjust.

Does anyone know where I can get step-by-step instructions for replacing upper strut mounts on a 1999 RX 300?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

morx300

Would this shortcut be helpful? http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/1.htm

Though that's not the same car he has, it certainly puts in pictures the idea. There is a long involved "how to" with pictures on Club Lexus of the RX done by "Lexmex".