Electric Cooling Fan

jwlane

While adding refrigiant to my 96 LS400 I discovered the electric cooling fan in front of the radiator wasn't working. I tried moving the blade with a screwdriver and it didn't move. It was frozen. I knew a dealer replacement would cost hundreds and I realy didn't want to trust one from a salvage yard so here's what I did. Removing the fan assembly presented a chalange. I had to remove the horn, right headlight, right corner lamp, three bolts that hold the fan in place. I then cut the fan "cage" away from the shroud using a pair of lineman pliers. After that I ground smooth the rim of the shroud.

I found a 12" electric fan at Advance Auto Parts that worked perfect. The part number is 226112 and made by Hayden Automotive and cost $65.36 including tax. I drilled holes in the shroud and using small nylon tie straps, I secured the fan to the shroud. I then used black ATV silicon to seal the mating surfaces of the fan and shroud.

The original wires are black and blue. The wires on the fan are also black and blue. In order for the fan to "push" air through the radiator I secured the black wire to blue wire and vise versa.

It worked great! Today where I live it was in the high 80's. I used a AC thermometer in the center AC vent and even when sitting in traffic, the needle on the thermometer stayed in the blue zone.

I have more photos of what I did and will be happy to email them to anyone interested.

post-5384-1240879255_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the fan solution1 :cheers: ... way to beat the stealer. I wouldn't give the temp guage too much cred though ... they're designed to accomodate wide fluctuations without registering much movement.

I checked my little Ig-Lo dial thermometer against my Raytec infrared and they're within +-2 degrees. You're right on the dial gauge. The blue area has a 10 degree temp spread. 38 degrees to 48 degrees.