Timing Belt

Razm

I bought a 1999 LX470 with 140K miles, how should I know if previous owner has changed the timing belt without removing water pump and everything else? or should I just have it replaced and not taking the risk?

Thanks

I bought a 1999 LX470 with 140K miles, how should I know if previous owner has changed the timing belt without removing water pump and everything else? or should I just have it replaced and not taking the risk?

Thanks

1. Ask him/her 2. If the service was done at Lexus they should have a record of it (can be accessed nationwide by dealer).

Thanks

1. Ask him/her 2. If the service was done at Lexus they should have a record of it (can be accessed nationwide by dealer).

Also there should be a sticker on the frame in front of the radiator showing the date and the miles at which the timing belt was changed. This is what the Lexus dealership did here in Houston.

post-73053-1241358010_thumb.jpg

Than they didnt do the job right, the darn sticker comes with the timing belt....they are just lazy....by the way the sticker is supposed to be placed on the timing belt cover on the left side of the engine...per instructions...

Than they didnt do the job right, the darn sticker comes with the timing belt....they are just lazy....by the way the sticker is supposed to be placed on the timing belt cover on the left side of the engine...per instructions...

I guess they put it where they did so in case anyone is unsure of it being done, no one has to charge the owner 1500 dollars for labor just to "look" for the sticker under all the parts.

Oh my bad, I just did this work on my daughters Sequoia, her's is in plain veiw. I have not seen the LX, maybe it has a external cover over the left cam area....

Oh my bad, I just did this work on my daughters Sequoia, her's is in plain veiw. I have not seen the LX, maybe it has a external cover over the left cam area....

Ha honestly I do not know if it is visible on the LX without taking things apart. It would just seem like some sort of scheme for a dealership or independant shop to tell you so they can charge for labor.

The belt can actually be seen by removing the upper timing belt cover on one side. I did the entire job for $230 which included the timing belt, idlers, and waterpump. The cheapest quote I got was around $1400......Took me 5 1/2 hours, but hey I dont get paid that kind of labor cost....I did it for free on my daughters Sequoi, (same engine as the LX470) I used Toyota timing belt, and OE waterpump and bearings....