Beginner's Maintenance. (need Advice From Pros.)

averona

I just bought this '95 LS400 and I absolutely love it. I have done relatively little work on cars, but I want to learn all I can about taking care of this thing. What are some good things that I can do to "get me feet wet?"

Adding fluids? Cleaning parts?

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Adding fluids? Cleaning parts? Yup, all good. One way to start scraping your knuckles is to read through http://www.lexls.com/ then pick out one or more of the easier jobs that look interesting or you think you can handle and get to it. Pay special attention to preparation - correct replacement parts, correct tools, correct instructions, and safety - correct workspace, correct ventilation, etc. Search this forum for more info on any job you've picked or post questions if you're not sure. Don't take on anything you have doubts about, can go wrong real quick and discourage you from continuing. Take your time with any task you decide on. Don't pay attention to how long it takes a pro to do it. Go at your pace, and take some time to absorb what your doing. When you get into more complex tasks, documenting your work with drawings/pics is always a good idea, especially if there are a ton of parts/wires etc involved. Good luck and enjoy your new LS!

Hi .... well ... you got a great car, for sure! I have one also .... love it!

first thing I would do (like right now) is learn about the power steering rack solenoid and clean it (much here at L.O.C. written). Be sure to remove it, then put it all back together minus the little solenoid filter ... then flush the system .... THEN re-install the filter ..... this probably has not been done on your car unless you are very lucky. This one, simple thing could save you soooooooooo much time, trouble and $$$$$$$$$ ....... by the way .... this little tiny filter is VERY fragile ..... so really be careful with it ....

I would service every single filter and fluid ..... and if money is no object I would convert the car to Royal Purple synthetic oil products .... (royalpurple.com) .... that is an interesting subject all by itself ..... when it comes to synthetic oil everyone has an opinion of course, but as far as I can tell at this point .... many manufacturers make claims, but Royal Purple has the actual tests to prove their claims ..... the LS 400 is certainly worthy of such an expense ....

I have found that working on these cars is not that hard really .....

take a look at your battery cables and make sure they are really clean. You do not want crud or "cancer" growing on your positive battery terminal ... (long story)

how do you feel about detailing cars? I like Zaino .... it was a discovery I made while here at the club .... great stuff!

if you read everything here at this site you will learn so much ...... the Lexus Owners Club is perhaps one of the best things about owning a Lexus ... so glad I found it!

Best regards ... and ... enjoy your car!