This Cars A Real Soldier...

BigBuggie

Hey guys, It's been a while since Ive posted but my 92 is still running great, I bought it last january and have put 20k on her so far.

I posted about what I thought was a dying starter back in august. Alot of people here gave me a couple weeks to a month based on the symptoms I described, Intermittent slow cranks and a whirring sound for about a second after the engine fires up. Anyway 8 months later its still doing it but starts every try, first try. I really love this car.

Pete

Hey guys, It's been a while since Ive posted but my 92 is still running great, I bought it last january and have put 20k on her so far.

I posted about what I thought was a dying starter back in august. Alot of people here gave me a couple weeks to a month based on the symptoms I described, Intermittent slow cranks and a whirring sound for about a second after the engine fires up. Anyway 8 months later its still doing it but starts every try, first try. I really love this car.

Pete

Weak battery? I had issues with starting, replaced and fully charged the battery and that issue went away.

hmm i think i know what your talking about. did you ever get the alternator replaced?

An alternator was going bad on my moms 2000 Ford Expedition. You could tell because it was harder and harder to start the car each day. Also when you started it, it suddenly sounded like there was a turbo charger underneath the hood when you pressed the gas. Also, the headlights would get brighter when you also applied more throttle. We didn't change the battery and its the only problem we have had with that car (with over 100k on an american car WOOT WOOT!)

so check the alternator or could possibly be a bad battery

Yeah I did the alternator, I should have mentioned that. It's about 6 months old. Before I changed it I had my battery checked out and I'ts good. Whats up with those fusable links? Which one would most likely be the culprit, Assuming that's what it is?

Thanks! Pete

a whirring sound for about a second after the engine fires up.

I have owned two LS400s, a 1990 and my current 1991 and both have this occasional whirring sound after the engine starts, in the winter months, if its lower than 45°. Never had a starting issue. I had my other LS for over 60K with this noise and it never failed. I think its normal.