The Strangest Material I Have Ever Seen In A Wheel Well!

Mrgimme

Hate to complain folks love my new 04 430 Cloudmobile- But in the right rear wheel well there is a rubber or plastic backed shroud (missing a bolt at the bottom so it is loose) and I am feeling this thing sayin why are they using the trunk liner material in the wheel well? I don't want to drive it in the rain not to mention mud or snow. I have been impressed with the build quality overall finest fit and finish I have ever seen but what goes on here?

P.S. BONUS QUESTION (for UFC 30 II ninjas ONLY)

My 04 was built in fall 03- Yes I have a new fuel pump yes I have a new tranny... Is there anything else that would be in or out of my model before the 04s were made in 04?

From what I gather I could possibly have PCS - I just am too afraid to test it!

B) :P ;)

I just noticed this also several days ago. I was working on a 2010 RX350 and while looking at one of the wheels the material on the inner wheel well cought my eye. I felt it and you're right. It feels just like trunk lining material. This material is on all 4 wheel wells. I looked at a new LS460 on the showfloor and it wears the material also. It looks nice, but it seems strange that Lexus would use this type of material on areas that are exposed to dirt and oils, festoons of ice, snow and salt, worm gizzards, road kills and highway paint. Is it there to lessen road noise?

Sorry, don't have any information for your bonus question.

Thanks for letting me know I am NOT completely crazy and I did not get the only one built this way!

I just noticed this also several days ago. I was working on a 2010 RX350 and while looking at one of the wheels the material on the inner wheel well cought my eye. I felt it and you're right. It feels just like trunk lining material. This material is on all 4 wheel wells. I looked at a new LS460 on the showfloor and it wears the material also. It looks nice, but it seems strange that Lexus would use this type of material on areas that are exposed to dirt and oils, festoons of ice, snow and salt, worm gizzards, road kills and highway paint. Is it there to lessen road noise?

Sorry, don't have any information for your bonus question.

Well... do you think the engineers at Lexus are a bunch of retards...

Or maybe it's in there for a purpose?? Maybe.. it deadens sound better or something???

Call Lexus and shoot the question to them! :D

Ok... so really what are worm gizzards...

How can fabric protect against road kill, paint, and gizzards like plastic can't?

I bet it's a sound deadening material. Also if a rock flips up and bounces around the wheel well it wouldn't be nearly as noisy.