No Start After Alarm Set-off, Simple Answer?

Hey everyone, haven't been here in a while, hope you are doing well. I'm still an LS guy but just picked up a '93 SC400 last week to play with and I'm stumped.

When I purchased the car, the prior owner had changed the battery and alternator but the car would not start. We both assumed it was the starter as he didn't think it had ever been changed. I changed the starter last week and drove it twice with no issue.

I should mention that the only key I was given was a skeleton looking key with no remote attached. Yesterday was the 1st time I locked the car, and when I opened the car with the key, the alarm went off. I quickly put the key in the ignition. I turned the key which stopped the alarm, but the car would not crank. Dead silent. All the dash lights are strong. I know the battery is fully charged.

I don't think my starter was bad. Is this a starter-cut-off that prevents theft? Would having a remote fix this? How can I obtain one? I tried disconnecting the battery, for 6 hours, but when I reattach the negative lead the alarm starts up again. I also noticed that the power door locks also seem to be disabled but not the windows or radio, and the door locks worked fine before.

It would be nice if there is a reset switch I am missing. My other guess from searching would be something to do with lifting the ground to the battery? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

My initial thought is that there might be some sort of chip resistor in the factory key but it probably would

not have started at all. You could call the Lexus dealer and perhaps get some info.

And here is a link that might provide some ideas --> http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

try locking and then unlocking ur car door using ur key...

Agreed.

The factory alarm cuts off a few things. The trunk switch, gas door. I believe it also cuts off the ignition.

Buy a new key from Sewell.

Thanks everyone, you were all correct. The first time I tried in a panic and turning the key seemed to have no effect. But this time it shut off the alarm with one turn.

I trusted the seller who sold the car out of frustration after replacing the alternator and battery. The car sat for 2 weeks and left him stranded many times and all he had to do was turn a key. I Bought a reman. Denso starter from Park Place and paid a guy $150 who realized he was underpaid but did a great job (took him a full 6 hours). I guess having a new starter in a 16 year old car is worth the peace of mind...