New Question To An Old Problem.

NicLX470

No one seems to be able to help me with this issue.

For some reason I am constantly fighting with the tires to keep them balanced right. Sometimes the steering is tight and is free of bucking, then other times I have to hold on with 2 hands before it gets away from me. Also depending on the road surfaces. Every 3k miles when I get my oil changed I must get the tires road forced balanced. This is the only balance that will cure the problem though only temporary. My previous 2 4Runners did this also and I was never able to fix the problem. Are there certain tires that are made to be smoother and less prone to this issue? Currently I have kind of sporty / offroad Cooper Zeon LTZ's tires on my LX470. Maybe some maw maw type michilens will be better? I'm just waiting for these to go bald to try something new. My balance was PERFECT and the wheel never shook until the other day I got 2 nails in the back drivers side tire. I had it patched and now the steering wheel shakes again.....the front tires were not even touched except to remove front wheels temporaraly to replace the rotors which I had done the same time of the tire patching. So the only tire actually removed from the wheel was the rear drivers side. How could this make the steering wheel shake like this? It is possible an unblanced rear tire could also play a part in steering shimmy? I am going to get them rebalanced again next week. This is an annoying waste of 50 bucks every few months. :angry:

• 1 month later...

You obviously have some very crappy tires on your vehicle. Why do you torture yourself that way? Ditch the tires for some decent ones. I refuse to accept any tire that needs more than 2 oz of weight or does not run true when on the balance machine.

You obviously have some very crappy tires on your vehicle. Why do you torture yourself that way? Ditch the tires for some decent ones. I refuse to accept any tire that needs more than 2 oz of weight or does not run true when on the balance machine.

I hope you are right. What kind of tires do you think would be the BEST for this truck? I have the 18" from the 06-07.

I hope you are right. What kind of tires do you think would be the BEST for this truck? I have the 18" from the 06-07.

Get the Michelin® Latitude® Tour HP

• 1 year later...

Come to find out after years of dealing with the shimmy in the wheel.....the.....problem.....was....a......slightly frozen caliper than would not release from the rotor all the way. Not only making the wheel shimmy no matter what, but ruining many a pads and rotors. Uhg. But now it's totally fixed and the steering and brakes have never been better!! Why it took 2 dealers and about 8 different trips to figure it out I don't know.