Loud Poping Noise

I'm getting a loud POP from the front driver's side wheel. It happens when I am turning right and applying the brakes at the same time, like pulling into a parking spot. Ball joint? Tie rod end? I can't remember what makes that poping noise... It's not a "clunk", like metal hitting metal. It's like something is binding and releasing, creating that pop noise, as I turn and stop.

I'm getting a loud POP from the front driver's side wheel. It happens when I am turning right and applying the brakes at the same time, like pulling into a parking spot. Ball joint? Tie rod end? I can't remember what makes that poping noise... It's not a "clunk", like metal hitting metal. It's like something is binding and releasing, creating that pop noise, as I turn and stop.

Sounds like a ball joint.. be careful

BP

I was under it this weekend, and other than the obvious road salt damage to the control arms "rusting", the bushings all look good with no cracks. I am thinking maybe wheel bearing too, as road salt can really eat them up as well. But, I am noticing some pretty extensive brake dust, which makes me think after-market brake job was done by previous owner. At 57k miles, in this city driving environment, I would think the brake pads would be toast by now, but they're showing about 40% remaining. So I'm thinking they're possibly aftermarket. My 4runner, which we bought in NC two years ago at 56k miles, was from Illinois as well. There were aftermarket pads on the front of it too, and when I went to change them, I noticed the caliper pistons were starting to corrode. I'm wondering if that might be case here too, which is causing one of the pistons to stick, until the combination of applying the brakes and turning the wheel forces it to unstick. I did notice when test drove it, that the braking was not even and the car wiggled around abit. That has gotten better with some forceful stops.

I'm thinking a $c-note at the dealer for a once-over might be in order, before I start spending time chasing things around. I'm not going to go nearly the distance to fix things on this car as I did on my old LS. I just don't have the time, nor the desire. If this car becomes too much of a problem, I'll just replace it with something else.

I think it is either the ball joint, bearing, or brake related. I don't get any noises going over bumps and such, which makes me question the ball joint idea. I don't hear any other noises in the wheels when rolling, which makes me question the bearing. But I do hear it when I use the brakes, I do notice a slight groaning noise under normal use sometimes from the brakes which makes me think the pads don't have the shims, and I definetly hear the clicking upon first application of the brakes in any new direction "front and reverse".........I'm thinking yet another quality Midas Job was done at some point.

.........I'm thinking yet another quality Midas Job was done at some point.

lol....i try to stay away from the stealership in town but if that's where you feel comfortable take her there. i have 2 good mechanics so i just use them

:D

I'm pretty sure it's the brakes now. I'm noticing when I start the car, an automated pumping noise coming from directly infront of the steering wheel, which is the brake master cylinder area. It's running several cycles, not just one as when the car is initially started. So it's trying to set itself, but can't quite get there. I also just rolled slowly through an empty parking lot with the windows down, and could hear a rythmic rubbing/swooshing noise that increased/decreased with speed from that tire. Guess it's time to order some parts and swap out those Midas parts for oem. Just got to find the time, which is at a premium these days.

No worries about Midas, I haven't allowed anyone to touch any of my cars since Wal Mart stripped the oil pan plug on my old LS400, back in 2005. Unless it's warranty work, or simply too much for me to handle "like timing belts and such", I'm my own mechanic. Which is the main reason why I love Toyotas, they're so easy to reach stuff and work on. And there isn't a lot of changes between the model lines for the basic stuff. I downloaded the TIS manual last night for the car "my third manual from them", read some of the stuff, and much of it is identical to my 95 LS400.

I'm pretty sure it's the brakes now. I'm noticing when I start the car, an automated pumping noise coming from directly infront of the steering wheel, which is the brake master cylinder area. It's running several cycles, not just one as when the car is initially started. So it's trying to set itself, but can't quite get there. I also just rolled slowly through an empty parking lot with the windows down, and could hear a rythmic rubbing/swooshing noise that increased/decreased with speed from that tire. Guess it's time to order some parts and swap out those Midas parts for oem. Just got to find the time, which is at a premium these days.

No worries about Midas, I haven't allowed anyone to touch any of my cars since Wal Mart stripped the oil pan plug on my old LS400, back in 2005. Unless it's warranty work, or simply too much for me to handle "like timing belts and such", I'm my own mechanic. Which is the main reason why I love Toyotas, they're so easy to reach stuff and work on. And there isn't a lot of changes between the model lines for the basic stuff. I downloaded the TIS manual last night for the car "my third manual from them", read some of the stuff, and much of it is identical to my 95 LS400.

cool....yeah i hear u. most things are simple but between 2 jobs and everything else my time is really short so i just drop it to them and pay bout half the labor rates plus i supply my parts so it works out for me