Susspinsion Upgrade

killerFatty

I was wondering what you guys thought of putting some H&R sport spring and some KYB GR2 struts. I want a firmer ride with a slightly more agressive feel. I know most of you will say it will kill the ride quality, but my shocks are next to dead so the ride quality sucks right now anyway. I really like the H&R springs, but I'm not yet sold on the shocks. Are the KYB's that good for what I'm looking for? I'm also looking at some daizin sway bar bushinings to help firm her up. Any thing else I should consider? THX for your thoughts.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptab...=&brand=all

I was wondering what you guys thought of putting some H&R sport spring and some KYB GR2 struts. I want a firmer ride with a slightly more agressive feel. I know most of you will say it will kill the ride quality, but my shocks are next to dead so the ride quality sucks right now anyway. I really like the H&R springs, but I'm not yet sold on the shocks. Are the KYB's that good for what I'm looking for? I'm also looking at some daizin sway bar bushinings to help firm her up. Any thing else I should consider? THX for your thoughts.

if you're tryiing to firm up the ride a set of bilsteins goes a long way :P

I just have GR2's and my '97 LS felt much firmer and sportier than my friend's '98 with stock suspension and fewer miles. I also have "ultra high-performance" all-season tires, Yokohama V4S. Shocks make the most difference in ride and handling, and I would not want to suffer the compromises associated with stiffer springs.

Make sure you run the best tires you can. If you have stock wheels, the Firestone Wide Oval will have the highest grip, but a summer performance tire like that will be crap in cold weather, and will wind up being noisier down the line if not immediately. I really like the Yokohama V4S that I have, even more than the previous tires, Kumho ASX, which I thought were quite good and lasted 53,000 miles under my hard cornering.

Last bit of advice: run high tire pressures if you are going to corner the car hard. I run 7 pounds over the factory recommended pressures, and while it makes the ride a little harsher, I like the extra road feel and my tire wear winds up better balanced given my hard driving style. Plus the car steers more responsively with higher tire pressures.

Yes,

H&R + Bilsteins

That will certainly transform your car to having an excellent sports sedan suspension. As long as you're prepared to lose a fair amount of suspension compliance, you'll probably love it. Let us know what you think short, and medium, term.

Have you considered opening up the exhaust to get some V8 rumble? IMO, the LS is a bit too quiet and I like the V8 rumble you hear in a stock GM V8 or in the truck version of our engine, the 2UZFE Tundra.

• 4 weeks later...