Looking For A Tire Recommendation/seafoam Question.

Infoseek

I was curious to see what brand/kind of tires most of the people on here recommended. I have a 95 LS400 with about 175K miles on it, and all 4 tires have pretty bad thread wear, so i really need to change my tires. Here's the list of tires i'm looking at:

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (98H)

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred

Goodyear Eagle GT

Out of the four, the first one is the most recommended, the MXV4, but they are pretty expensive too, at about 130/tire.

The second choice, the goodyear tripletred, i read quite a few reviews that said they suffered a loss in MPG's (about 1 to 2 mpg), and they were a lil bit noisy.

and with the goodyear eagle GT, i have read both good and bad reviews, and they're not all that expensive either, so i'm thinking about getting those. However, i would really like to hear what people on here say before i make that decision.

Are there any cheap brands out there that perform as good as these ones, or what ever. I just want to know what others have experienced with these or other brands.

Another question that i had was seafoaming. I don't think my car has been seafoamed before, since we bought at about 171k miles. But it has been maintained pretty good, or at least thats how it feels/handles. I'm afraid that if i seafoam the car, i might get some leaks due the mileage on the engine. If there is a leak, the carbon buildup must cover it and if i clean the carbon buildup, it might expose the leak... so what do you guys think?

I thought i saw a section for tires on this forum.. but i couldn't find it. SO if i did miss it, plz feel free to relocate it to that section.

thanks.

I was curious to see what brand/kind of tires most of the people on here recommended. I have a 95 LS400 with about 175K miles on it, and all 4 tires have pretty bad thread wear, so i really need to change my tires. Here's the list of tires i'm looking at:

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (98H)

Goodyear Assurance Tripletred

Goodyear Eagle GT

Out of the four, the first one is the most recommended, the MXV4, but they are pretty expensive too, at about 130/tire.

The second choice, the goodyear tripletred, i read quite a few reviews that said they suffered a loss in MPG's (about 1 to 2 mpg), and they were a lil bit noisy.

and with the goodyear eagle GT, i have read both good and bad reviews, and they're not all that expensive either, so i'm thinking about getting those. However, i would really like to hear what people on here say before i make that decision.

Are there any cheap brands out there that perform as good as these ones, or what ever. I just want to know what others have experienced with these or other brands.

Another question that i had was seafoaming. I don't think my car has been seafoamed before, since we bought at about 171k miles. But it has been maintained pretty good, or at least thats how it feels/handles. I'm afraid that if i seafoam the car, i might get some leaks due the mileage on the engine. If there is a leak, the carbon buildup must cover it and if i clean the carbon buildup, it might expose the leak... so what do you guys think?

I thought i saw a section for tires on this forum.. but i couldn't find it. SO if i did miss it, plz feel free to relocate it to that section.

thanks.

There are cheaper brands, but I'd go with the Michelins. Old firm, good reliable product, well constructed, and their wornout ones are in demand by retread shops.

I am running MXV4 on my wifes 97 LS400, and Pilot Exalto on my 95 LS400..

THE EXALTO IS BY FAR THE BEST, SMOOTHEST, AND QUIETEST, if you drive over 70mph, and I do.

Below that they are about the same.

Michelin Exalto. Far better than the MXV4, except for noise.

I wouldn't use Seafoam in a lawnmower.....

if you have the budget for the Mich's, go for those - worth the price for the least amount of issues. a good tire on a tighter budget in my opinion, is the General Tire RT's or HP's...i have 15k miles on mine and so far a great tire with a nice tread pattern...just make sure you stick with the scheduled tire roatations.

as far as seafoaming goes, to each thier own opinion about this process..there is many threads on this topic. use the search option and read through these threads and you will see different results...

if your engine is bone-dry free of leaks, and you have your doubts about seafoam usage after reading the threads, then dont do it. proper removal of hard carbon build up is a tear down and rebuild. regular maintanance pretty much keeps these cars running strong.

Happy Lexin! :cheers: