Urgent! Rh Cam Pulley Spun Without T/b In Place

dpellet

Hi All,

Into my timing belt & water pump swap today and ran into a little problem!

My Right Hand cam pulley spun a few notches forward (clockwise) when I tried to loosen the belt off. Left hand did not move as the belt slipped and crank is still at TDC.

Can I simply turn the cam pulley backwards to it's original spot or am I screwed here. It's a 91 supposedly non-interfence but when the slip occured I did here a quick whirring noise as the cams moved the valves.

Please tell me this can be easily corrected.

Thanks,

Dan

I think you want to look at step 41: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Thats the instructions I have been following, problem is now that one cam has moved about 10 degrees the other side did not nor did the crank (belt was off) so only the right cam moved. If I turn the crank will they naturally line back up the way they should or will the right side be off by 10 degrees.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

The cam advanced under pressure from one or more valve springs as the lobes are depressed. I'd back up the cam and line it up properly. Don't move the crank or the other cam. I had the same thing happen on a Mercedes V-8 I was installing a new chain on some years ago. No big deal. Just don't lose ALL the reference marks.

Thanks SRK, I thought I should be able to back it into position but did not until I ran it by someone else. I'll give it a whirl. I believe it will be under pressure now to bring it back to where it was, am I correct? Any chance of messing up the valves?

My Regards,