How Best To Remove Minor Scratch

I got some scratch (and a small ding) on my side panel. I used some polishing compound to try and remove the scratch, but it does not do anything. This compound is about 10 years old, and I was able to use it to remove minor rust spots on my old M-B. It does not work on the 400h. I know there are more powerful rubbing compound, but don't know if it is a good idea. If I asked the dealer, what will they do to remove it? Suggestions please. thanks.

I am not a paint professional. Modern paint is a thin layer of color with a clear coat on top. If the color is scratched your sol. Otherwise start with clay. Be careful and plan on spending some time. Here is a link and some info; http://www.ehow.com/how_2310146_fix-auto-p...-scratches.html.

I think that any compound that can remove a scratch can damage your paint job.

Clay doesn't do anything to remove scratches, clay is for removing bonded contaminants...

Can you feel the scratch with your fingernail when you rub it over the scratch?

• 2 weeks later...
I got some scratch (and a small ding) on my side panel. I used some polishing compound to try and remove the scratch, but it does not do anything. This compound is about 10 years old, and I was able to use it to remove minor rust spots on my old M-B. It does not work on the 400h. I know there are more powerful rubbing compound, but don't know if it is a good idea. If I asked the dealer, what will they do to remove it? Suggestions please. thanks.

Try Maguire's Scratch X. I use it all the time on stuff that you'd swear could not be repaired. Don't be afraid to be agressive with it.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_deta...p?T1=MEG+G10307

Ditto. Scratch-X is excellent stuff.

Tom

Thanks. I'll go get some. There is a scratch that is on the surface, and I cannot feel it. Then there is one that I can feel and I can see the white undercoat. I have this mild scratch removal paste, but it does not do anything. So Scratch-X may do the job.

Ditto. Scratch-X is excellent stuff.

Tom

Thanks. I'll go get some. There is a scratch that is on the surface, and I cannot feel it. Then there is one that I can feel and I can see the white undercoat. I have this mild scratch removal paste, but it does not do anything. So Scratch-X may do the job.

I actually had a ski hit my show car. Scratch X pretty much removed the evidence - only I know where the ski hit. That's how good this stuff is.

If you can feel it with your fingernail it cannot be completely removed without paint...but it can be made less noticable.

See what you can do with the Scratch X and report back...