A/f (oxygen Sensor) Cost?

amazak4192

I have a 2001 RX300 w/ 96,000 miles on it. My check-engine, VSC and TRAC control lights came on. My local mechanic (non-Lexus dealer) said my front A/F sensor (similar to oxygen sensor) is bad and needs to be replaced. He says it will cost about $375 for the part, labor, tax, etc. This seems somewhat high, since the part shouldn't cost more than $250 - is this worth over $100 in labor?

The cost is about $160 and the labor is what ever he charges. Make sure it is original equipment sensor (Denso) Do NOT use aftermarket, they are tempermental in our engines. see this listing for the front sensor, but confirm it is air/fuel sensor

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=214915

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...QNP2349009.html

I have a 2001 RX300 w/ 96,000 miles on it. My check-engine, VSC and TRAC control lights came on. My local mechanic (non-Lexus dealer) said my front A/F sensor (similar to oxygen sensor) is bad and needs to be replaced. He says it will cost about $375 for the part, labor, tax, etc. This seems somewhat high, since the part shouldn't cost more than $250 - is this worth over $100 in labor?

amazak The original equip. can be bought online from Lexus for $150. and I even got the local Toyota dealer to sell it to me for $162. when I asked if they could compete with an online dealer, and I had printed off the online add. They came close enough and I needed 'em right away. It's a very easy change, should take all of 5 or 10 minutes as long as it's not rusted in. Which it could be since I see you're in Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...

Great - thanks for the help. I had my local mechanic do the job (paid $375) and he said the code for the other bank 1 sensor was also tripped the last time the check engine light came on. I had him only replace one sensor and I was fine for about a week, but the check engine light is back on this morning. I think I'm going to order the part online and tackle this myself (given the price and the fact that it sounds like I got ripped off w/ the first sensor). Thanks again for the help!

Great - thanks for the help. I had my local mechanic do the job (paid $375) and he said the code for the other bank 1 sensor was also tripped the last time the check engine light came on. I had him only replace one sensor and I was fine for about a week, but the check engine light is back on this morning. I think I'm going to order the part online and tackle this myself (given the price and the fact that it sounds like I got ripped off w/ the first sensor). Thanks again for the help!

Amazak- We give good advice here... that's why it's a good idea to follow it. LOL In all seriousness, the rear one is the one you should have let him change. It can be a bear, especially in rust country. The front one is the 5-10 minute job. The rear one is harder to get to, you have to jack the car up and it is more likely to be rusted in, because it gets the heat and wet a lot more back there. It'd also quite difficult to get the plug apart because of where it's located. There are pictures posted on this site of where the rear one . Did he use a genuine Denso sensor? As stated before, there are quite a # of people who have replaced the sensor or had it replaced with aftermarket sensors on Toyota/Lexus and had the light come back on, only to find out after much time wasted on diagnosis, that T/L like the Denso's and often don't like aftermarket. Some independents don't realize that. If Your going to use an independent mechanic, I would strongly suggest one that SPECIALIZES in T/L. Good Luck!