Slight Clunking Noise At Low Speeds On Speed Bumps

23bull

Sorry not much of a mechanic. I have a 2004 IS300 with only 25,000 miles. The car runs well, but I hear a slight "clunk" when going up a speed bump and when the front wheels come down. Any ideas what this is? I'm afraid of taking it to the Lexus dealer with such an open question. Most times they only run my car around and say they can't identify or replicate the sound. Thanks in advance.

Could be lots of things. The way I found my noise was to put the front of car on jack stands and then move the suspension up and down with a hydraulic jack while listening for the clunk. It turned out the bracket that holds the sway bar busing was loose where it bolts to the frame.

• 2 weeks later...

mine does the same thing. i'm thinking upper strut mounts, because i've seen that before in BMW's. unfortunately, i'm not going to take the strut out to replace the mount without replacing the strut. soooo, it's going to be hard to tell just which replaced part was making the noise. not that i care, so long as it doesn't make any more noise.