How Much Should I Expect To Pay?

SJG50

Good morning, my name is Samuel. I am in Boston and looking to buy my first Lexus next month.

The Lexus that I am interested in a new 2009 Lexus ES350 with the Ultra-Luxury pckg. I've been on many websites and to a few dealers and I still really don't have a good idea on what I'm going to be paying. Hopefully there are some meticulus minds here who can give me a hand. Right now I own a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6. It's a great car, but I usually don't keep a car that has more than 20,000 miles on it, and it has 17k miles right now. My last three cars have been Camrys' and Avalons' and I am ready to move on.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for your responses and look forward to reading them.

Welcome to the forum SJG50!

It depends on the options but configured on Lexus' website the MSRP is about $43,775 with the Ultra-Luxury Package. I configured the same car on Edmunds.com and it said the "What People are Paying" Price is about $40,000 but I'd try lower. The dealer invoice is about $38,800 so start there and work up.

Good luck, let us know if you get it!

First know exactly what you want. Then go to Edmunds.com and see what other people are paying for that trim level. That will give you a ball park. Then e-mail each dealer directly - call and get the internet sales managers name. Right in the header write "Ready to buy" then tell them exactly what you want and ask for their best price. Don't talk about color and certainly wait on things like all season weather mats - you can get that thrown in later. (You will find though that certain configurations are typical to the northeast region). Expect some to e-mail right out of the box with a crappy price. But just say you are well educated on the invoice price, dealer incentives and hold backs and e-mail back. Then play one against the other. If they ask how you are going to pay ...say "cash" - it's not part of the price negiotation. Set up financing in advance with like AAA, when it comes down to the bottom line at the dealer they often will beat AAA percentage rate. Also don't mention anything about trade-in until you have Identified the dealer. Then after you have narrowed the field down, e-mail again and ask if they can beat their competitors price. When you show up - then say ...you know I think I will trade my car. Again go to kelly blue book on the internet and edmunds - educated yourself - expect them to try to make up some money on giving you a crappy price on the trade. Know what the trade in is worth and be ready to walk if they try to mess with you (and they will). Believe me if you are asking a reasonable trade-in price walk out the door and they will come running ( if they don't and you still want to go with them - just drive around the block - they may call your cell number). Also do all of this in the week leading up to the end of the month. The key is to walk into the dealership on or close to the last day of the month.

As for Boston Dealers. I like Northboro Lexus the Best, then there is another in Danvers which will play and another in Watertown. Herb Chambers in Sharon sat on their hands and didn't return e-mails or calls until my deal was done with Northboro - they have never given me a competitive price on any car I have bought. I have to say that Northboro Service is fabulous.

Good morning, my name is Samuel. I am in Boston and looking to buy my first Lexus next month.

The Lexus that I am interested in a new 2009 Lexus ES350 with the Ultra-Luxury pckg. I've been on many websites and to a few dealers and I still really don't have a good idea on what I'm going to be paying. Hopefully there are some meticulus minds here who can give me a hand. Right now I own a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6. It's a great car, but I usually don't keep a car that has more than 20,000 miles on it, and it has 17k miles right now. My last three cars have been Camrys' and Avalons' and I am ready to move on.

I'd like to thank everyone in advance for your responses and look forward to reading them.

For our '09 ES 350 with premium plus, and a few other options, we paid almost $5k below Sticker Price, which was about $750 over invoice.

I would also check nada.com for invoice. I have a 2009 ES level III...list price was 41670.00...I paid right at 37K. I'm in GA, not sure what the market is like in the Boston area. Now for a Level IV ES, your MSRP is going to be around 43K...so I would expect a good price would be in the mid to high 38K range. Since you already know that you want the Ultra-package...all you need to concentrate on is price. I would negotiate the bottom line price w/o any mention of trade-in and then go from there. Good Luck .... :cheers: