Whats Wrong With My Mpg

jb904

my 98 ls400 had its check engine light come on. I havent been able to find out what it means just yet but since its been on i havent noticed any change in how the car drives. i drive in the city but im easy on the pedal driving like granny and my display is showing 20 mpg average. however after filling up my car recently i did the math (total miles driven/gallons filled) and the actual mpg is 14. If my display is somehow off how would i fix that? Or is it a chance that the check engine light is causing the misread for the MPG?

my 98 ls400 had its check engine light come on. I havent been able to find out what it means just yet but since its been on i havent noticed any change in how the car drives. i drive in the city but im easy on the pedal driving like granny and my display is showing 20 mpg average. however after filling up my car recently i did the math (total miles driven/gallons filled) and the actual mpg is 14. If my display is somehow off how would i fix that? Or is it a chance that the check engine light is causing the misread for the MPG?

Sounds like someone siphoned a few gal of gas from your tank.. On some of the older models the gas door is easy to pry open. My suggestion is to double check it for a month or so.. Easy,, just drive 200 miles or there about, and see how close you get to 10 gal of gas.