Broken 120 Amp Main Fuse

ClueLessLex

Hi All,

This is my first post, so please excuse if I don't get everything right. I have an LS400 with about 85,000 miles. Two weeks ago the battery went dead.

Replaced the battery. Horn started blowing constantly. Pulled the horn fuse. Cranked over the car a few times. Dry crank - sounded like security system might have been preventing the start. Then the car went completely dead. Nothing would happen at all - no lights - nothing. Our nearest dealer is 110 miles to the north. Called him. He said check the fuses. Found five fuses blown in the fuse box under the hood. Replaced all but one.

The main 120 amp white fuse is secured by two bolts on the bottom of the fuse. I got the first leg out by breaking the fuse but can't get at the second bolt because the fuse box itself is secured with some kind of a plastic clip assembly on the end nearest the front end of the engine. I have to get the fuse box out so I can reach the second bolt holding the fuse leg in place. Can someone please help. I can't afford to have the car towed 110 miles to the dealer in Monterey California.

If I'm not clear on the problem, it's the plastic fuse box enclosure. It's attached on one end with a bolt which I was able to take off and with a flush plastic push down assembly on the other end. It's really stuck and I can't get it to release and free up the fuse box so I can pull it up enough to make room for a socket to take out the other bolt holding the fuse leg in place.

What a dumb way to wire the box. I gather Toyota does the same thing.

In advance, thanks everyone for their help :wacko: