Stock 96 Sc400 Upgrades

openingact

New Member's Inquiry: Has anyone installed a TC to a stock SC400? The advertised gains +/- 40-50 RWHP. Great return if accurate. Was the torque increase spread out well across the rpm range for daily driving, and how was the installation?

Saw a link that Spall (sp) has a set of twin electric fans to bipass the belt driven OEM. Reported +/- 20-30 RWHP from removing the fan drag across the rpm range. Can anyone comment on real world performance difference and installation experience?

If those two upgrades hold holy water, 60-80 RWHP MAY be realized at a great price. Way too much of a increased performance estimate?

Cone Air Filter (K & N Type) - Not sure about the total square inches of surface area when comparing the OEM to the K & N. Seems the one with the most surface area would breathe best. I have a concern that the K & N may not consistantly filter as well as the OEM (micron type particles), which could eventually make a mess of the intake system. Comments?

CAT back exhaust - I read the 400 has a 2 1/4" diameter pipe off the CAT. Has the 2 1/2" (only size I read about from several links) made a significant performance difference for anyone? Maybe a larger diameter with "sleeper tips"? Any computer/02 sensor/back pressure problems?

Recommendations on quality of after market OEM replacement filters (oil, air, fuel...others??) and the best oil for this engine (Mobile One?).

I'm shooting to keep the Lexus OEM quality as a weekend type daily driver, and make the most out of my "new" 96 SC400 with 80K miles: Black, chrome wheels, Tan interior, Sunroof and Nackamichi.

Finally, any recommendations for service beyond a Lexus Dealer in Jacksonville, FL? Thought I'd make a fireside conversation out of this.

Thanks a Million

Welcome to the club. Great car!

The torque converter is an excellent idea for the car. I have heard great things about Precision Industries. This will free up a lot of loss through the transmission. HP gains are subjective. The only way to get an accurate representation of horsepower gains is to dyno the vehicle before the installation and after.

http://www.converter.com/

The electric fan deal works only with the 2JZ-GE(GTE). The stock fan on those motors is driven by the crank via belt with clutch mechanism. On the 1UZ-FE, the fan is driven hydraulically by the power steering pump. It would be very difficult to do this on the SC400 and gains are minimal. I had this on a previous 300 and am not convinced it was worth it. AT most it would free up maybe 5 to 10 horsepower at times when the fan is (would have been) engaged. They say 10hp for every pound removed from the rotating assembly.

I believe cone filters are generally a waste but not necissarily. If you leave the stock piping from the box to the throttle body, then you will increase flow and retain the well engineered intake ducting. It is a waste to replace this stock ducting at all applications other than top end. Performance is lost off the line. I recommend the BFI homemade intake. Read about this here.

http://planetsoarer.com/BFIDIY/BFIDIY.html

And more modifications and explanations intake ducting:

http://planetsoarer.com/#BFI

CAT back exhaust - I read the 400 has a 2 1/4" diameter pipe off the CAT. Has the 2 1/2" (only size I read about from several links) made a significant performance difference for anyone? Maybe a larger diameter with "sleeper tips"? Any computer/02 sensor/back pressure problems?

There will be a slight performance gain here. I'd recommend a complete custom exhaust for the price of these cat-backs. There are a lot of options. Maybe lex400sc would like to give some ideas here. He also has a great site posted in our FAQ section. Check it out. Lots of good stuff.

The best oil? Personal preference goes large here. I've always used mobil 1 synethetic. So do many others. But any quality oil will work. Crudely, oil is oil. Change it at normal intervals (3,000 miles) and things should be just fine. Others have rather emotional opinions to this - and it is the life blood of the vehicle. So check up on various oils and find the one you feel most confident with. Chances are, the car has been maintained well so it would be fine to stay with the oil the previous owner was using. Again, personal preference. 5w-30, 10w-30

Any high quality filter properly sized will do well. Recently, I have used FRAM extra gaurd. Air filter elements, K&N makes a direct drop in that is reusable (clean it). That could be ideal for the BFI. Or you can use a cone with a adapter plate for the maf. Most are adequate.

Service in Florida:

"Dealership: Lexus of Clearwater, Clearwater, FL

Rating: ***.5

Would you recommend this service/parts dept? Yes

Your service advisor/contact: Ongoing turnover of service reps Different one each time I'm there"

"Wilde Lexus of Sarasota,FL.

Rating: **

Parts: Paul

Service: Audrey

Comments: Paul in parts has been very, very helpful from day one and realizes the over prices of the parts and service. Audrey is fun to talk to and knowledgeable but this is where it all stops."

I don't know if either of those are near you but one was deemed good by one customer and the other was deemed bad by another customer. The recent addition here was originally a Miami car and had been serviced at:

Lexus of Kendall

County Line Lexus

I can not attest to the quality of service. Maybe it was good.

We will be started a dealer review thread here at this site for various dealer's across the U.S. in the near future. All users are invited to post their experience and satisfaction level.

Good luck

AJ

I forgot to mention TOYOMOTO.

Any good performance shop should be able to install your torque converter. The dealer may as well, but there are mixed reviews about that. Sometimes they will not. Search your area (phonebook, internet, contacts) for reputable transmission shops and performance shops. Check them out well before you do business with them. All should be well then.

Thanks - IRT Torque Converter/Intake/Exhaust- I'll see who might be the best installation shop of the TC. The referenced unit is preset for 2400 rpm's and up, and can be reset once for free during the 24 month warranty. I don't understand how a TC it works (mechanical, weight transfer, doesn't look like it has any electrical functions). I emailed them to see if a TC should last indefinately with luck.

The BFI looks like the best way to optimize filter surface area and use OEM drop-in's or flat rechargeable elements.

I know one excellent custom exhaust shop nearby JAX FL who could make the entire unit for a good price. The best pipe diameter's, muffler, and CAT set-up/modification is still cooking in the oven for a future lunch.