Bad Ignition Module?

I was driving my SC400 last night and the instrument cluster started getting dim. My Trac off light and the battery indicator light came on in the dash. After I shut the eng off, I couldn't restart it and the battery seemed so weak it wouldnt even crank the starter. I waited an hour and the car started right up again, but after I began driving it a mile or two, the same thing happened. Could it be I have a bad ignitor? I have heard that when the igniter gets old and heats up, this is a common symptom. At first I thought it would be a bad alternator, but then again, if my battery drained down, why would I be able to start the car right up again after a hour?? Any ideas?

I was driving my SC400 last night and the instrument cluster started getting dim. My Trac off light and the battery indicator light came on in the dash. After I shut the eng off, I couldn't restart it and the battery seemed so weak it wouldnt even crank the starter. I waited an hour and the car started right up again, but after I began driving it a mile or two, the same thing happened. Could it be I have a bad ignitor? I have heard that when the igniter gets old and heats up, this is a common symptom. At first I thought it would be a bad alternator, but then again, if my battery drained down, why would I be able to start the car right up again after a hour?? Any ideas?

Test your alt.

Test your alt.

Could also check all connections to your alt/batt and the tension on your S-belt.

Test your alt.

Could also check all connections to your alt/batt and the tension on your S-belt.

I checked the battery voltage and it showed 12V, then I started the engine and it went to near 14V, but when I loaded the eng with lights and hi beam, the volts started dropping. The S belt looks ok, but I haven't verified the connections at the alternator yet.

I checked the battery voltage and it showed 12V, then I started the engine and it went to near 14V, but when I loaded the eng with lights and hi beam, the volts started dropping. The S belt looks ok, but I haven't verified the connections at the alternator yet.

You say the belt looks ok. Did you actually check the tension by flexing it. Should twist less than 45 Deg and not deflect much more than ~ .5 in. when pressed. How far did your reading drop and did it level off or continue dropping? Try running it for 5 minutes and watch the voltage. Then load it for the next 5 minutes and see what happens. If the batt went to 14 V right away, the connection is prolly ok, but I would check anyway. Also check the ground.

You say the belt looks ok. Did you actually check the tension by flexing it. Should twist less than 45 Deg and not deflect much more than ~ .5 in. when pressed. How far did your reading drop and did it level off or continue dropping? Try running it for 5 minutes and watch the voltage. Then load it for the next 5 minutes and see what happens. If the batt went to 14 V right away, the connection is prolly ok, but I would check anyway. Also check the ground.

I recharged my battery for several hours. Then I restarted the car and checked the voltage with the eng running for at least five minutes. The volts went to almost 14 initially, then when I loaded the eng with hi beam headlights and AC, the volts dropped to near 12. I checked the pulley bearings for the serpentine belt, they seemed ok.

What I saw next was odd. With the eng at idle, my timing would jump all over the place constantly. I'm gonna wait for my two igniters that I bought used on Ebay, and install it and see if my problem is solved. Still unsure if my alternator is bad, but at the same time seeing my timing fluctuating at idle makes me think otherwise?

I recharged my battery for several hours. Then I restarted the car and checked the voltage with the eng running for at least five minutes. The volts went to almost 14 initially, then when I loaded the eng with hi beam headlights and AC, the volts dropped to near 12. I checked the pulley bearings for the serpentine belt, they seemed ok.

What I saw next was odd. With the eng at idle, my timing would jump all over the place constantly. I'm gonna wait for my two igniters that I bought used on Ebay, and install it and see if my problem is solved. Still unsure if my alternator is bad, but at the same time seeing my timing fluctuating at idle makes me think otherwise?

IT WAS MY ALTERNATOR AFTER ALL. I BOUGHT TWO USED IGNITERS ON EBAY AND IT DIDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. ALTERNATOR WAS BAD.

Anyone want to buy my used igniters??

• 2 months later...

:(

IT WAS MY ALTERNATOR AFTER ALL. I BOUGHT TWO USED IGNITERS ON EBAY AND IT DIDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. ALTERNATOR WAS BAD.

Anyone want to buy my used igniters??

eds92sc ok i will buy the used igniters how much

email me at nuha5@juno.com