Check Engine Light

jakej

We had the check engine light come on on my wifes 99 rx. MPG started to drop and it will idle rough sometimes. She took it to the Toyota dealer and was told we need to replace the "mass air flow meter and a/f sensor" for $621.50. I first tried to clean the MAF. The light came back on. Next I replaced the MAF with one from Advance Auto and same thing the light came back on after 10 miles. She had Advance scan the car and it showed 3 different readings.

1. closed loop fuel control

2. insufficant coolant temp

3. fuel air meter

I am at a lost on these 3 readings. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Hey Jake...What were the actual code numbers? I had something similar happen to our 02 RX 300 and it turned out to be a bad gas cap and the hose that connects underneath the air filter box had come off. THis happens often when you get your oil changed and the tech takes the top off of the sir filter box to get to the air filter.

There are numerous threads on this forum on CEL problems that are simple fixes. I fixed my problem for $7.95.

Hal

Hey Jake...What were the actual code numbers? I had something similar happen to our 02 RX 300 and it turned out to be a bad gas cap and the hose that connects underneath the air filter box had come off. THis happens often when you get your oil changed and the tech takes the top off of the sir filter box to get to the air filter.

There are numerous threads on this forum on CEL problems that are simple fixes. I fixed my problem for $7.95.

Hal

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Hal

I changed the gas cap and check the hoses around the airbox. I did't notice any hoses disconnected. The code #'s are P0125, P01130 and P01135. I am going to try and check the hoses again and see if I see anyting.

Jake:

The hose is under the air filter box and is sort of hard to find. It is pretty much an exact lentgh fit and it connects directly underneath the box. After you make sure that it is connected then you might want to go to Auto Zone and get them to re-read the codes and ask them if they will clear them for you. If after awhile they come back on you might have something else wrong.

Do some thread searches here on this forum (or Google the codes with your year and model Lexus) and you will find all sorts of threads where these code problems have been dealt with and fixed.

Good Luck...Hal

Hal

I changed the gas cap and check the hoses around the airbox. I did't notice any hoses disconnected. The code #'s are P0125, P01130 and P01135. I am going to try and check the hoses again and see if I see anyting.

I think the last two codes should have been p1130 and p1135 which are both often triggered by a faulty Air Fuel Ratio sensor (similar to an oxygen sensor). Check to see if your car has California Emissions Approval, if it is chances are that you need to change the A/F Ratio sensor. The po125 code can also be triggered by a faulty a/f ratio sensor... I would suggested checking that out. The sensors are pretty pricey though.. about 136 at rockauto.com i believe.

Hal

Troubleshoot the codes you have rather than wasting money on a gas cap and wasting time looking for the evap hose that often becomes disconnected behind the air box. If it were either of these you would have an evap type code like P0440, P441 and P0446.