Replace Timing Belt/water Pump With 21k Miles?

90LS400Lexus

I had this question in another thread, but it was a different topic and I think it was kinda hidden, because I got no replies/advice. Several questions in here.....

My 1991 LS400 had the water pump (supposedly) and timing belt changed 21K miles ago at a Lexus dealer. Its on the dealer sticker on the engine. I am not 100% if the water pump was changed, but since it was the 2nd timing belt change (@ 196K miles), I am assuming they changed the water pump this time. Since it was at a dealer (in another state), can I still call my local dealer and see what all was changed? Would it be on record?

NOW.... my fan bracket bearing is toast and I have a new one ordered and a Toyota tech I know is going to change it this weekend at his house for $120, while is not pocket change to me, is better than the $170 dealer quoted price. I found a new genuine Lexus bracket online for $155.... dealer wanted $260.

NOW, the tech tells me that it basically has to go all the way down to the water pump and t-belt to change the bracket and he said since it only has 21K on them, he would not worry about changing the t-belt/water pump now. I am wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this?

ALSO, I think my spark plugs need changed badly, but I am strapped for cash, since this is setting me back around $300. I cant afford expensive spark plugs. Can anyone recommend some GOOD and INEXPENSIVE spark plugs for a 90-94 LS400?

Many thanks in advance!!

My 1991 LS400 had the water pump (supposedly) and timing belt changed 21K miles ago at a Lexus dealer. Its on the dealer sticker on the engine. I am not 100% if the water pump was changed, but since it was the 2nd timing belt change (@ 196K miles), I am assuming they changed the water pump this time. Since it was at a dealer (in another state), can I still call my local dealer and see what all was changed? Would it be on record?

They should be able to help you out. If not, call the dealer that did the job.

NOW, the tech tells me that it basically has to go all the way down to the water pump and t-belt to change the bracket and he said since it only has 21K on them, he would not worry about changing the t-belt/water pump now. I am wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this?

If the record shows everything (TB, pump, tensioner, idlers) was done, then for your peace of mind, just subtract 21k from your next scheduled TB service.

ALSO, I think my spark plugs need changed badly, but I am strapped for cash, since this is setting me back around $300. I cant afford expensive spark plugs. Can anyone recommend some GOOD and INEXPENSIVE spark plugs for a 90-94 LS400?

Pull a few plugs and inspect. If the ceramic isn't cracked and the electrodes look normal, pull the rest, clean and regap.

They should be able to help you out. If not, call the dealer that did the job.

If the record shows everything (TB, pump, tensioner, idlers) was done, then for your peace of mind, just subtract 21k from your next scheduled TB service.

Pull a few plugs and inspect. If the ceramic isn't cracked and the electrodes look normal, pull the rest, clean and regap.

Thanks. Well, the PO had the t-belt done at a dealer in Atlanta. I have no idea which one. I wonder how many Lexus dealers there are in Atlanta? I will do a search. I doubt the tensioner was done as well. I guess I may have to pass on it either way.... just this bracket alone is draining me. :(

Murphy's Laws apply to these cars as much as any other. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. When cars need fixing, they'll let you know. Obviously the fan bracket did.

I wouldn't bother with the belt or the pump. If the pump weep hole shows coolant, well then it's time. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

As to the spark plugs, if the engine is running smoothly, just carry on. I wouldn't pull a plug to look - they can be damaged (snapped) just doing that. Also getting to them requires removing the covers. If no real symptoms (mis-firing, rough idle) are present, leave them alone too.

Fix that which is broken, and don't feel obligated to do anything else - because everything else is an intangible at the moment.

Thanks. Well, the bracket bearing arrived today and I have to take it to the guy house tomorrow to be replaced. I am debating on whether or not to drive it, or have it towed. Its about a 7 mile drive, but its clanging something fierce. I am afraid it may come loose and go through the radiator. :o So... I may have to up an extra $40-45 and have it taken on a roll-back.

No, the engine is running smoothly, except for the vibration because of the trashed motor mounts, but I cant afford that now... not after $300 for this bracket and its replacement. :( Awful lot of money for something you cant even see. <_< I just thought that the plugs may need to be changed because I have not changed them, nor know when the PO did. I have been wishing in the back of my head that the vibration I was getting was from the bracket bearing when it was in its early stages of failure, but I guess if the mounts were good, I am sure I wouldnt be able to have felt the bearing going bad.

Murphy's Laws apply to these cars as much as any other. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. When cars need fixing, they'll let you know. Obviously the fan bracket did.

I wouldn't bother with the belt or the pump. If the pump weep hole shows coolant, well then it's time. Otherwise leave well enough alone.

As to the spark plugs, if the engine is running smoothly, just carry on. I wouldn't pull a plug to look - they can be damaged (snapped) just doing that. Also getting to them requires removing the covers. If no real symptoms (mis-firing, rough idle) are present, leave them alone too.

Fix that which is broken, and don't feel obligated to do anything else - because everything else is an intangible at the moment.

Thanks... I took that sound advice SRK! :) FINALLY have my LS400 back and running fine! :) He did not go all the way down to the water pump, but he said it did not seem to be leaking. I am really not to concerned about it. As soon as I get another car to drive as a work car, I am giving this car to my mom as mentioned... I am just trying to get it up to par for her.

Oh, dared not to drive the car... I started it and was going to chance driving it to his house, but it sounded like the engine was flying apart, so I didnt. I paid a rollback $50 to take it.

If you T.B. service was done at a lexus dealer. The service record will be avail. to the via the internet. Drop by a dealer, talk to the service manger, and ask them if they will pull the cars service record. You will need to provide them with the VIN # This will give any service that was ever done at the dealer. Some of the service done will just have numbers. So you may have to ask the to decode it for you.