What Fixed Your Steering Wheel Shaking?

As most of you very well know steering wheel shaking from about 60-65mph is a huge problem for our cars. As you might have guessed, my 1999 GS 400 has the same problem. I'm trying to figure out, pinpoint, what exactly causes this problem.

So if each of you that have come across this problem, and SUCCESSFULLY FIXED IT, please tell me everything you had done AND what, in your opinion, actually FIXED THE PROBLEM. or what was the last thing you did before the shaking stopped.

THANKS

I fought the problem for three years and the fix turned out to be putting the original tires back on. The Potenza 030's wear out fast, ride hard and are noisey, but they seem to be the only tires that don't shimmy. I think it's because they have a really stiff sidewall.

nothing....i just ignore it. lol. ..but i tried almost everything! nah with new ball joints, new tires, and alignment mines almost completely gone

check this topic out look at post # 4 and it has some helpful links

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=55330

New tires solved the problem for me... as soon as I went with aftermarket wheels the problem came back... usually feeling more shaking coming from the front passenger side. I put the OEM wheels back on the other day which are wrapped in michellin exalto's and the wheel shake went away.. its strange because the other wheels are showing up as balancing fine.. I know the guy above me has gone through great lengths to solve this mystery.

First a good alignment, done by someone with experience. No kids hacking away in a Midas shop.

Second, quality tires on a quality wheel. I have Michelin Pilots on factory 17 inch wheels.

Third, a "road-force" balance, again performed by someone with experience.

My GS is smooth from rest to terminal velocity. When I have picked up a small vibration it has always been eliminated by the road-force balance, which I have had to do exactly twice in four and one-half years.

These cars are sensitive to balance and tracking, but they do not have a "problem".