Front Wheel Alignment

silviatwo

When America's tire company installed my 4 new tires, they recommended I have a front wheel alignment. I asked if I needed the rear aligned and they said "no". So when I called Lexus service department, they said they only do 4 wheel alignments and not just two for the front. does this sound right? Should I just go somewhere else and get a front wheel alignment?

When America's tire company installed my 4 new tires, they recommended I have a front wheel alignment. I asked if I needed the rear aligned and they said "no". So when I called Lexus service department, they said they only do 4 wheel alignments and not just two for the front. does this sound right? Should I just go somewhere else and get a front wheel alignment?

How many miles on your vehicle?

More importantly: how did your last tires wear? If they wore evenly, you don't need an alignment.

you have an RX with AWD, get the 4 wheel alignment. In all honesty, you can't do a true front wheel alignment unless the rear wheels are in proper alignment. So it just makes sense to do all four corners.

steviej

Does an AWD vehicle require a 4 wheel alignment??

This is from TireRack's webiste and can explain better than I can.

The different types of alignments offered today are front-end, thrust angle, and four-wheel. During a front-end alignment, only the front axle's angles are measured and adjusted. Front-end alignments are fine for some vehicles featuring a solid rear axle, but confirming that the front tires are positioned directly in front of the rear tires is also important.

On a solid rear axle vehicle, this requires a thrust angle alignment that allows the technician to confirm that all four wheels are "square" with each other. Thrust angle alignments also identify vehicles that would "dog track" going down the road with the rear end offset from the front. If the thrust angle isn't zero on many solid rear axle vehicles, a trip to a frame straightening shop is required to return the rear axle to its original location.

On all vehicles with four-wheel independent suspensions, or front-wheel drive vehicles with adjustable rear suspensions, the appropriate alignment is a four-wheel alignment. This procedure "squares" the vehicle like a thrust angle alignment, and also includes measuring and adjusting the rear axle angles as well as the front.

It's interesting that in the Lexus IS250 Owner's Manual Supplement, through 150,000 miles of required maintenace, not once does it mention a wheel alignment?? In fact, I didn't even see the word alignment.

not surprised. you won't find it in the IS 350 manual, the GS manual, the Ford manual, the Chevy manual, etc.

steviej

Randy,

I hear what you are saying.

I agree, abnormal wheel alignment can manifest itself before symptoms such as abnormal tire wear show up. A car out of alignment may pull slightly to the left or right (as you also stated), or you might feel a slight vibration not caused by out of balance wheels or a recently damaged rim (ie potholes damage).

Personally, when I buy a new set of tires a wheel alignment "check" comes with the purchase. If the alignment is off, after the new set is put on, then they will ask me if I want a complete alignment done. If out of spec, then I will get it done. Keep in mind, in a case like this, the last alignment was done the last time the tires were replaced (which may have been three years prior, barring incidents). In addition, I may opt to have an alighment done when I swap my 17" winter tires for the 18" summer tread. If after I swap them, the car does not track well or the steering wheel is no longer level, then I will take it in. If the car tracks perfectly and the L on my steering wheel is level with the current set up then that is my benchmark. If the second set does not change the track or the position of the L, then I don't do an alignment. I don't wait for abnormal tire wear to have it checked or done. In 20 years, 4 cars with 4 wheel independent suspensions and at least 11 sets of various tires (all season, winter set, summer set, etc) I have never had a case of abnormal tire wear by following this simple practice.

In support of my orginal post, whenever I have a wheel alignment done on my car, I always have a 4 wheel alignment done by my local tire shop, not my dealership. It's a sound $70 investment, at least to me.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2000 es 300 and YES you do need to have both axles aligned because the front and rear suspension are independent of eachother. Your front end may be ok but some variance in the rear whether it be toe, camber, or caster can cause your steering wheel to pull left or right. Generally when you buy new tires or get any type of suspension work done (tie-rods, control arms, stabilizer bars, etc.) you should have an alignment done. Tires especially because you could cause uneven tread wear which is really the only thing that can happen within an unaligned car. As a matter of fact, I just had an alignment done yesterday and it was only $58.00 USD to have both front and rear done. I would check with your local shop to get this service performed, most shops also look over your suspension and adjust rear or front tie-rods if needed. So, if you hjave new tires why burn your $400+ investment because you don't want to shell out $60 for the alignment?

Branden