Tail Light Problem

LexSC400328

hello...i just installed 4 new LED bulbs in my 93 SC400..they look great, the flash on and off just like the spoiler light...however, it seems as if my sc400 is severely against every and any modification cause it threw the tail light CHECK light in the dash...how do i fix this??

LexSC400328, Read post# 5, 9 & 13... As post 5 suggests watts, LED lights are Low Power (wattage) Draw. The car thinks there's a burnt out bulb. Post 9 informs the type/number on the bulb. The easy fix is to remove the LED bulbs, or just keep the LED and ignore the gauge indicator.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300...light-bulb.html

Explanation #9 in the link above does a great job of describing the cause of your problem. To put it simply you are not drawing enough current through the LED bulbs to turn off the fault sensor.

Other than ignoring the sensor (which would drive me nuts) there are two choices you have.

1) Go back to the original 192 bulbs and grumble because you liked the look of the LED's.

2) This one takes a little more work, and some figuring too.

If you subtract the current draw of the LED bulb from the current draw of the 192 bulb you can see how much current your fault sensor is missing. If you divide the missing current into 14 volts you will get the amount of resistance you need to add to the circuit to satisfy the fault sensor. The resistor should be connected in parallel with EACH LED bulb (that's one resistor for each LED bulb) so that the fault sensor sees the correct current draw when the bulb is on. Don't forget to multiply the calculated current by 14 volts to get the power rating of the resistor, then double that number for reliability. So a 2 watt resistor should call for a 4 or 5 watt resistor to be purchased.

If you do it right, and make sure you mount everything securely away from any plastic that might melt (the resistors can be in the bottom of the trunk if you like), you will have LED bulbs and no dash light. It's a bit of work, but worth the trouble if you want the look.