Possilbe Rust Issues

Cowboy0724

I am in the process of buying a 2005 LS430 with 22137 miles. It is a Lexus Certified Preowned and was owned by one person who lived in Wilmington, Deleware.

My question is should I be concerned with possible rust issues (since it was owned in Deleware) and how can I protect myself from rust issues in the future. With such low mileage I concluded that the possible rust should be minimal but not sure if this logic is sound.

I plan to keep this car at least 10 years and it will be used in the Appalachian Mountains in NC (where we salt the roads in the winter). I wash my cars after each snow/salt event and keep the undercarriage clean with pressure washing. But with a used car, I don't know how I would be able to determine if the first owner used the same care techniques.

I have fallen in love with the car. I looked at a number of new cars and none came close to this car in quality, ride and quiet operation.

Hope this question makes sense and thanks for any replies.

I've been driving Lexus LS cars for 19 years and never had any rust ... and I'm guessing they use more salt on the roads in Kansas, Missouri and Iowa where I do most of my driving than in Delaware and North Carolina. I'm guessing that you have no experience with Lexus or Toyota products.

I drove my first 1990 LS400 from new until 13 1/2 years and 183,000 miles -- no rust. I bought my current 2000 LS400 at 3 years/38,000 miles and it is now at 8 1/2 years and 107,000 miles -- no rust. I plan to drive it at least as long as the 1990 LS I had -- which is still on the road with its new owner at over 250,000 miles.

Cowboy...you sound alot like me. I absolutely hate rust and I live in the "rust" belt. Go figure.

In my earlier years, I would fly to LA and buy a car just because I knew it would be rust-free.

Now to me, having no visible rust is not good enough. I want to crawl underneath the car and not see

any significant rusting. Ok, the rotors and a few bolts may have some minor surface rust but thats it.

My current 98 LS400 came from Phoenix and has been driven on the salty roads in N. Indiana (and boy, do they salt 'em).

However, the factory protection, fit and finish is so good on a Lexus, that I have not noticed any problems.

Now, I do try to spray the salt off as soon as possible but on days when the temp does not get above 10 F, its a little hard to do.

I crawl underneath each spring and fall and with a can of either primer or rust inhibitor, I hit any metal which might be starting to rust. I dont

find much to spray however. It is just pretty solid. Still, I keep vigilance.

BTW, I removed that little plastic strip along the rear quarter fenders(four screws) and expected rust to have started. Notta. Dirty(which I cleaned) but not a speck of rust.

Thanks guys! I think I will have the dealer put the car up on a rack and let me inspect it. That might satisfy my obcessive nature. Also, I contacted Lexus Preowned Warranty folks and they claim that each dealer must inspect for rust and guarantee that there is not rust visible on the car at time of sale. If I buy the car with this understanding I will demand that the dealer put it in writing at time of sale. I keep my cars at least ten years and therefore like to feel comfortable in the purchase decision. Great website!!