Extended Warranty

I just bought a used 2007 RX 350 with remaining warranty for 50K miles. Is it worth to buy an extended warranty? If yes, who should I buy the warranty with, the dealer or outside vendor? Any advice will help. Thanks.

My father (who'll be 69 in June)...has been in the automotive sales/service/manufacturing industry for about 55 years...yes - he started working in a "service station" when he was 14.

I've always followed his advice where extended warranties are concerned - ALWAYS buy the warranty from the dealershp - i.e. a LEXUS warranty for your Lexus...that way you can always be sure that ANY dealer will honor the warranty. With aftermarket companies...you don't always have that peace of mind.

ALWAYS buy the warranty from the dealershp - i.e. a LEXUS warranty for your Lexus...that way you can always be sure that ANY dealer will honor the warranty. With aftermarket companies...you don't always have that peace of mind.

If you need to buy a warranty at all, that is. With any Japanese-based manufacturer, I wonder why one would even consider an extended warranty.

My experience: I used to buy them. Not any more. The only time I used one for a non-U.S. car was for a broken strut on my '01 Acura TL. The cost would have been way less than the dealer charges for the services without the warranty. We didn't buy the warranty for my son's old piece of junk, a '99 Nissan Altima - he wrecked it out at 125K miles with no failures that would have been covered by such a warranty.

Just smile politely at the F & I guy at the dealership and say "No thank you" for the myriad of extras they will push - remember, the real profit on a car is made in his office, not as much from the initial sale.

In your case, if it was going to break it would have happened already. Just change the oil at regular intervals and it should go 150K - 200K miles with few non-wear-and-tear issues. In my case, one clip on the cabin air filter was broken - that's it in 30K miles, the best of any car I have ever owned (25 and counting).

Just smile politely at the F & I guy at the dealership and say "No thank you" for the myriad of extras they will push - remember, the real profit on a car is made in his office, not as much from the initial sale.

Truth. These guys are the worst part of any dealership. They live on "got to act now" expensive emotional purchases. Fact is, you can get an EW on your Lex from any Lex/Toyota dealer at almost anytime.

Biju,

Do a search on Extended Warranty on the boards here, there are at least 3 huge informative threads on this subject that have happened since New Year.

I would like to change my own oil. Is there any documentation I must have to prove that I indeed kept up with all the regular service items. Any insight would be great.

Well, the first couple of services are free, so you certainly want to take advantage of that.

The Maintenance supplement describes what data you should have...things like mileage, date and what was done. They recommend you use the included maintenance log. I also keep my receipts for oil and filters so that I can show additional proof, but the maintenance supplement is pretty specific that you do not need specific proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the responses. I got both sides of the extended warranty; purchase and not necessary. I still have about 2000 miles to drive before I need to decide if I really wanted the EW. Thanks again, Biju :rolleyes:

In addition, you all out there driving RX 350 please give me advice what I should be aware of this vehicle and how to take care of those. Thanks

I would like to change my own oil. Is there any documentation I must have to prove that I indeed kept up with all the regular service items. Any insight would be great.

Well, the first couple of services are free, so you certainly want to take advantage of that.

The Maintenance supplement describes what data you should have...things like mileage, date and what was done. They recommend you use the included maintenance log. I also keep my receipts for oil and filters so that I can show additional proof, but the maintenance supplement is pretty specific that you do not need specific proof.