Revs Drop To Idle Level At 40mph

sobodobo75

This is a really strange quirk. I've scoured the forums and found little bits of info about it, but nothing that really flushes it out completely.

Basically at around 40mph, my 96LS will drop the revs down to what they would be at startup idle. The effect is a noticeable slowdown of the vehicle but doesn't feel jerky like a tranny issue might. Feels as if I either took my foot completely off the gas very quickly or even applied the brakes slightly. I was driving myself insane thinking that I was inadvertently taking my foot off the gas until I caught site of the tach.

If I press the gas a little more, the revs snap right back up to where they should be without the slightest hint of a jerk or rough shifting. It seems like, if I'm concentrating and paying attention to my speed, I can finesse it such that I give it a little extra gas right before 40mph and it doesn't happen.

I described the problem to my mechanic who used to be a Lexus dealer mechanic, and he said that it sounds like I'm feeling the torque converter lock-up, not anything to worry about but to continue watching it. I saw some posts here that talked about potential issues with the ECU.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar or had any thoughts on what it might be (torque converter lock-up or otherwise). Thanks for the help.

From what you describe i think my 97 does the same thing.

When I'm driving +40mph and I take my foot off the gas it feels as if I've down shifted a manual. Not jerky. Yet you can feel the car decelerating.

I've asked about it a few times, but am still clueless as to what the problem may be.

I've heard clean the IACV. I've heard flush the tranny...