Why Do Some Rxs Have A Tape Deck And Some Don't?

Hi - my husband and I are looking to buy a 2009 RX350 in the next month or so. We were at our local dealership today, just to check out the inventory. We noticed that some of the '09 models have the old dash set up with the tape deck, and some do not. We were specifically looking at a Pebble Beach Edition RX350 (2009) that had the tape deck in the dash, then the normal model next to it (also an '09), didn't have the tape deck. Does anyone know why some of the new models would have it, and some don't? I'd prefer not to have one as the last cassette tape I think I owned was Aerosmith's Pump album (circa 1989)!. ;) Thanks for the help.

Hi - my husband and I are looking to buy a 2009 RX350 in the next month or so. We were at our local dealership today, just to check out the inventory. We noticed that some of the '09 models have the old dash set up with the tape deck, and some do not. We were specifically looking at a Pebble Beach Edition RX350 (2009) that had the tape deck in the dash, then the normal model next to it (also an '09), didn't have the tape deck. Does anyone know why some of the new models would have it, and some don't? I'd prefer not to have one as the last cassette tape I think I owned was Aerosmith's Pump album (circa 1989)!. ;) Thanks for the help.

I really don't know why some have them, and others don't. I just received a 2009RX350 and: no tape deck. I am 'sure' that another one I had sat in did have the tape deck, and it was not the enhanced ("Mark Levinson") sound system. I will ask next time I go to Lexus (and if this topic is still visible, will post what I was told). For the moment, the only thing I can think of is tha the date of manufacture dtermined the tape deck inclusion, probably with the later ones not having it.

I really don't know why some have them, and others don't. I just received a 2009RX350 and: no tape deck. I am 'sure' that another one I had sat in did have the tape deck, and it was not the enhanced ("Mark Levinson") sound system. I will ask next time I go to Lexus (and if this topic is still visible, will post what I was told). For the moment, the only thing I can think of is tha the date of manufacture dtermined the tape deck inclusion, probably with the later ones not having it.

Actually, checking the manual(s), it would seem that the RXs equipped with navigation have tape decks, and those without navigation don't (have tape decks).

Just bought a 09 w/nav and both wife I are wondering why in the world do Lexus drivers are the only ones wanting to listen to tapes? You can practically get any of your fav albums on MP3...lets get out of yesterday folks. If someone wants my tape deck, you can have it!

I thought they all had the tape decks...all 3 of my RX's have had them.

I see it as sort of a bad joke.

They could make better use of that space to have a set of aux inputs, USB ports and iPod connectors for people to actually use.

Hi - my husband and I are looking to buy a 2009 RX350 in the next month or so.

Great time to buy! Better get to it while they have the options and colors you want...the new models are coming out soon and I would imagine that selection will start getting stale. Be sure to check out some of the threads on the deals people have been getting. Simply amazing...some as much as 10k off sticker.

They could make better use of that space to have a set of aux inputs, USB ports and iPod connectors for people to actually use.

Great time to buy! Better get to it while they have the options and colors you want...the new models are coming out soon and I would imagine that selection will start getting stale. Be sure to check out some of the threads on the deals people have been getting. Simply amazing...some as much as 10k off sticker.

The dealer where I got my RX350 last week is 'out' of them for all practical purposes: he has 11 left, all with 'holds' on them. No 2008s either (the Lexus 'support' is now extended to 2008s). Lexus deserves a big 'congratulations' for the manner in which they supported the dealers and helped them get rid of soon-to-be-old inventory before the arrival of the new RX. Cleaning the decks makes the prospects of the new RX a lot better: no competition with the old. I was told that some Texas dealers had some in stock a week ago, but I do not know if that is accurate.

Hi - my husband and I are looking to buy a 2009 RX350 in the next month or so.

I would also like to have a place to plug in the iPod, and I can't imagine it would take any space at all. As mentioned, there are still a lot of books on tape available at giveaway prices, and listening to a book can help make a trip go by. Yes, I know they also have books on cd, but they all seem to be unabridged, include 14 cd's, and cost an arm and a leg.

Great News,

Just bought a 2009 RX350 AWD Truffle Mica Pebble beach edition. Got it for $37,111 plus tax only. No other fees. MSRP was $47456. We are happy with the deal. I hope this helps others out in finding a good deal on their RX. We love this forum!!!! Trying to figure out the NAV amongst other things. Thanks to everyone for all their help so far.

Great News,

Just bought a 2009 RX350 AWD Truffle Mica Pebble beach edition. Got it for $37,111 plus tax only. No other fees. MSRP was $47456. We are happy with the deal. I hope this helps others out in finding a good deal on their RX. We love this forum!!!! Trying to figure out the NAV amongst other things. Thanks to everyone for all their help so far.

Wow, that is great news! You can never argue with 10k off of sticker!

Congratulations on your new PB! Which PB gift selection are you getting? :D

Here,

They also have videos on pairing bluetooth, setting your homelink and using voice commands. Really helpful.

Since you live in Colorado, I would recommend that you spring for the slush mats. They really are very nice and do a great job of keeping the car clean during the sloppy slushy months. I swap out the slush mats and carpet mats every spring/fall. The carpet mats preserve the wife's expensive shoe collection half the year, and the slush mats protect the car the rest of the time. Win/win! :D

Hmm...some pretty nice choices on the PB swag. I am not a golfer, so that would be out. I am kind of with you that the cookware seems nice and ours is about ready for an upgrade anyway. The leather duffles look nice, but I think I would have a hard time using them to fly...too nice to let the cargo goons ruin them at the airport. :) Tuff choices!

• 5 months later...

The tape deck is standard with the Nav system. When you order the Nav system you get the tape deck and I believe a slightly better set of speakers.