16" Snow Wheels Question...

Crispy

New here helping friends set up their "new" 2001 LS430 with winter wheels & tires. The owners manual says the stock sizes are 225/60-16 and 225/55-17. Tire Rack does not offer 16's for the LS, only for the GS. I want to set up snows on 16's and may even go to 215/65's for the best snow traction. I have lots of experience setting up cars for snow and know the perils of going off spec. I may or may not go 215....

My question: Can I fit 16" wheels offered by Tire Rack for the GS on our LS? Is there a caliper issue? Thanks, C.

Tire Rack does not offer 16's for the LS, only for the GS.

Yes, it is odd that Tire Rack doesn't show 16" wheels for the LS430 -- its more on oddity/problem of its website. Try choosing a winter package for a 2000 LS400. A 2000 LS400 like mine has the same "big brakes" the LS430 has. In fact, the wheels that came standard on the variation of the LS400 I have were also standard on the 01-02 LS430. I see one 16" wheel on Tire Rack that fits the 2000 LS400 which would also fit the LS430.

I recommend that you instead look for a set of used Lexus wheels. I bought a set of Milla Miglia Bello wheels from Tire Rack in a snow tire package for my 00 LS400 and wish I hadn't. Aftermarket wheel models tend to get discontinued pretty quickly. My Bello wheels are no longer available -- if I bend/ruin one, I'm SOL.

You might check Craiglist or the Lexus dealer for a set of used or take-off wheels. I've seen decent 16" LS430 wheels on Craigslist for around $50. Or you could use the car's current 16" wheels (if it has 16" instead of 17" wheels) for the snow tires and take the rest of the winter to assemble a set of wheels to use with the summer tires. You can always buy one or two wheels at a time -- no need to look for a set of four.

There is no good reason to downsize to 215/65-16 tires. My 00 LS400 has done just great with 225/60-16 Blizzak winter tires in deep snow. The LS430 is a big car and the 225 tire width is needed for safe braking on dry pavement -- especially with snow tires.

If you do buy a set of 16" wheels in a tire package from Tire Rack, be sure to emphasize that you have an LS430 with big calipers that have almost zero clearance between the wheel rim and caliper. I strongly recommend that you avoid wheels that do not have a wheel rim lip that can carry hammer-on balancing weights. Even with 16" Lexus wheels made for the LS430, there is not enough clearance between the wheel rim and the brake calipers to use stick-on, hidden balancing weights and also do a dynamic balance of the wheel.

If you buy wheels that can't carry hammer-on balancing weights and don't have enough clearance between the rim and caliper for stickon weights, then you are stuck with having the wheels statically balanced.

Thanks '90LS, you gave me so much good info. I'm new to this buying cheap alloys from TR. I always bought steelies and tires and found this year with my wife's '07 Audi that steel wheels were not available. I bought $96 alloys from TR when I couldn't find used. I'm happy with those wheels but I hear you on the trouble-in-the -future thing. It sure is easy to order up mounted, balanced wheels&tires and slap'em on. Thanks for the tips... C.

Hey, I just looked at the '00 LS400 on TR and they showed the 215/65-16 as an alternate... I didn't know that when I posted. You really think the 430 is above using 215's? We need all the snow performance we can get with steep driveways and a lot of sketchy conditions. Thanks, C.

Thanks '90LS, you gave me so much good info. I'm new to this buying cheap alloys from TR. I always bought steelies and tires and found this year with my wife's '07 Audi that steel wheels were not available. I bought $96 alloys from TR when I couldn't find used. I'm happy with those wheels but I hear you on the trouble-in-the -future thing. It sure is easy to order up mounted, balanced wheels&tires and slap'em on. Thanks for the tips... C.

Hey, I just looked at the '00 LS400 on TR and they showed the 215/65-16 as an alternate... I didn't know that when I posted. You really think the 430 is above using 215's? We need all the snow performance we can get with steep driveways and a lot of sketchy conditions. Thanks, C.

Yes, I really do think 215/65-16 tires on an LS430 are not a good idea. It is not like Lake George is in the Yukon. Even in winter, your roads are dry much of the time. I know you can get some snow -- I used to make regular trips to Albany and I've driven through Lake George in the winter to go skiing at Gore Mountain and Whiteface up at Lake Placid.

Just be sure to get "real" snow tires -- ones with the mountain/snowflake certification symbol on the sideswalls. Don't settle for less. For best performance in snow, buy "Studless Ice and Snow" tires and avoid "Performance Snow" tires.

The LS430 has VSC and a snow mode transmission setting like my 2000 LS400. With real winter tires (mountain/snowflake logo!), the LS430 will get around incredibly well even in fairly deep snow. It will actually be quite fun to drive in in snow if properly equipped.

Blizzaks are great winter tires but I chose to go with Winterforce from Firestone. About 60% of the price of Blizzaks and offer great traction in Minnesota winters.

As a "studdable snow tire", the Winterforce is in sort of a different class. It is the only one of seven winter tires Tire Rack sells in 225/60-16 that can accept studs. If it gotten better ratings on ride comfort and noise in the Tire Rack surveys, the $73 Winterforce tire might have been rated higher than the $101 Blizzak WS60 "Ice and Snow" tire.

I went with Toyo winters for both my vehicles (Garit KX in my ES 330). I would suggest getting a set of OE 16" or 17" alloys personally.

I just picked up a set of 2008 IS 250 AWD wheels & they will be on in April with pics to come. :D

:cheers: