Looking At Buying 2002 Is300

MPowers04

I've been reading through the forums a bit and like what I see. You guys have a lot of information on these cars. The 2002 IS 300 I'm looking at buying is listed for $7900, it has 175,000 miles on it. I know the guy so he said he would let it go for $6000. My only concern was the high mileage. He said the inline 6's can go up to 500,000 miles... I wanted to check in with you all and see what kind of experiences you've had. How high are the miles on your cars? What's the highest you've seen on a IS 300? I'm not going to race it or get rims and all that sweet stuff, this would just be a replacement for my fiancee's Honda accord I just wrecked. The main reason why I would get this is because he said it would last a long time. I could get a Honda accord that I could get 150,000 miles out of before it dies, or I could get this, for maybe a grand more, and get... 200,000+ more miles??? Let me know if there is something I'm missing here PLEASE. Also, even though the engine would last super long, would there be other huge maintenance costs? Transmission, etc? Thank you so much for your insight!

I've found that when looking at a higher mileage car, it becomes more about the regular maintanance discipline of the owner than it does about the motor itself. So long as it was maintained regularly, and not wrecked, I wouldn't have any issues at all buying one. The 2JZ has a long proven history. The drivetrain and trans is fine. $6k for an IS300 isn't bad. Your due for the water pump and timing belt replacement. That's can cost around 800 bucks. I would also make sure all the fluids look good.

i am actually looking at this same car. can i ask why you passed on it because i am interested in it.

thanks!

is this the white one from craigslist hes only asking 6 thousand for it i bet u can lower it some more, but if u want to spend 7900 theres one in ohio with only 99k miles and only 7300 bucks a dark grey one

here is the link to the white one for 6grand

http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1007563980.html

thanks! i will check this out. the one that the OP was talking about was a red 2002 is300 located in howell. he originally wanted 7900 for it, but was entertaining offers for ~$6500. it had close to 179k if im not mistaken.

are these inline v6 really that reliable? everyone is advising me to not get these high mileage cars, but i only plan on driving it for maybe 3-5 years.