Towing With Is 250

Raife

Hello everyone. I am seriously considering buying an IS 250, but it says in the manual that towing is not recommended. I only need to tow a jet ski with a total weight including trailer and fuel of around 900lbs.

Is anyone towing with this car and will the car be able to handle this?

Any input is much appreciated.

Your main problem is going to be finding a hitch for your IS250. They were and still are available for the IS300 but I don't find any for the ISx50.

Trailer hitches are sold for the IS as an official accessory and installed by Lexus dealers in some countries outside North America. For example you can view a hitch for the IS250 gas and IS220d diesel cars on the U.K. Lexus website: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/accessories/exterior.aspx

Is the IS robust enough to tow a trailer? Of course it is. Here is text from the Lexus U.K. corporate website:

"DETACHABLE TOWING HITCH

With so much power under the IS bonnet you have plenty to spare for towing. A jet-ski or sports trailer perhaps? You can do it with the purpose designed Lexus detachable towing hitch. It gives you up to 1,500 kg towing capacity and comes complete with a dedicated wiring kit."

Unfortunately, the trailer hitches in the U.K. and Europe are different than that those used in most of the Americas so you can't just get one of those. I thought maybe you might find one in Australia since they use the same ball type hitch that we do but I don't find any online.

If you can't find a hitch made for your car, you might be able to go the custom hitch route. I would think that there would be at least one company in the Toronto metro area that could make and install a hitch on your IS.

BTW, I've had a trailer hitch on almost every car I have owned including both my previous 90 LS400 and current LS400. The local Lexus dealer here even used to sell trailer hitches or at least arrange with a subcontractor to have them installed. It doesn't take a large car or a powerful engine to pull a small trailer.

Your main problem is going to be finding a hitch for your IS250. They were and still are available for the IS300 but I don't find any for the ISx50.

Trailer hitches are sold for the IS as an official accessory and installed by Lexus dealers in some countries outside North America. For example you can view a hitch for the IS250 gas and IS220d diesel cars on the U.K. Lexus website: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/accessories/exterior.aspx

Is the IS robust enough to tow a trailer? Of course it is. Here is text from the Lexus U.K. corporate website:

"DETACHABLE TOWING HITCH

With so much power under the IS bonnet you have plenty to spare for towing. A jet-ski or sports trailer perhaps? You can do it with the purpose designed Lexus detachable towing hitch. It gives you up to 1,500 kg towing capacity and comes complete with a dedicated wiring kit."

Unfortunately, the trailer hitches in the U.K. and Europe are different than that those used in most of the Americas so you can't just get one of those. I thought maybe you might find one in Australia since they use the same ball type hitch that we do but I don't find any online.

If you can't find a hitch made for your car, you might be able to go the custom hitch route. I would think that there would be at least one company in the Toronto metro area that could make and install a hitch on your IS.

BTW, I've had a trailer hitch on almost every car I have owned including both my previous 90 LS400 and current LS400. The local Lexus dealer here even used to sell trailer hitches or at least arrange with a subcontractor to have them installed. It doesn't take a large car or a powerful engine to pull a small trailer.

Thanks for the response! I called the place that put the hitch on my jeep and they said that there is not one available for the IS250 but they gave me the name of a custom hitch place who said that they will be able to do it no problem. Both the people at the custom hitch place and the Lexus dealer both agreed that the type of light towing I will be doing will not be an issue for this car and the dealer said that I won't have warranty issues unless they can trace a problem to the hitch being installed.

• 2 years later...

I had exactly the same question (well, almost - I just want a bike rack).

Found this: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Lexus/IS250C/2010/C11047.html?vehicleid=2010303760

Though it seems a bit fishy to hang a hitch of the exhaust mounts.

Any thoughts about this?

Attaching a hitch to the "exhaust mounts" is probably the most common way that trailer hitches are attached to vehicles - including the OEM hitches sold by Lexus dealers outside North America.

The hitch on my 00 LS400 is also from etrailer and attaches to exhaust system mounts. I use the hitch mainly for hauling bicycles on the same $50 bike rack I bought when I had a hitch installed on my first LS in 1990.

post-2157-0-27386700-1300630232_thumb.jp