Any Transmission Shift Kits For The Ls?

K9crew

I read this review and I have to agree with the author since I've experienced a similar delay in downshifting. A good shift kit might be the solution. Any ideas?

This car hates to downshift. There have been numerous times that I've needed a burst of speed to merge with traffic, and the car just hesitated for about 1.5 seconds, forcing me to cancel my attempt.

The rest of the review can be found here ...

'99 LS review

:)

I'm wondering if the "five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i)" has a "training problem". I have never understood how this "intelligence" is supposed to work but I think I read once that it supposedly "learns" one's driving style.

There does not seem to be a similar hesitation in downshifting in my late 2000 LS which I assume is the same as your 99. Part thottle downshifts seem to happen very easily with little pedal movement and I think are a bit quicker than in the 90 LS I used to have. I tested the downshifting this morning when merging on to I-35 at about 45 mph and then punched it up to about 70 mph.

Does anyone know how the "intelligence" transmission feature works?

Jim

K9,

I've really only "floored" my LS once - on the accel. ramp. There was a little hesitation but not 1.5 seconds. I think Lexus makes it this way for some reason.....

BTW, how's the body work coming on your recent adventure........

Jim,

Where did you read about this "learning" feature? I do thing that my car shifted "faster" the first month I had it - but I drive very "easy" and have noticed it doesn't shift as agressive (I think) as it used to...

1990LS400,

Thanks for raising that interesting point. I bought my LS in Houston in November and immediately embarked on a 2,500 mile road trip to San Francisco which meant 8 hours a day of steady-state freeway driving. I had a new battery installed when I bought the car so perhaps the transmission learnt an atypical shift strategy. I'll disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so to force a relearn and see what happens over the next week or so.

99lsguy,

I'm still waiting for the body shop to call me with a date/time to bring my car in. The owner was going to call the Lexus dealership this past week to see if they have a new rear door in stock. As for the "learning" ability of these cars, there's a section in the repair manual regarding the learning feature. There's a description of possible "performance" or "drivability" problems after the battery is disconnected and a solution if such problems arise.

OK, I think I was "full of it" when I said that I thought I had remembered that the transmission "learned" one's driving style.

A website reviewing a 2003 Toyota Camry with an ECT-i tranmission says:

"The intelligence refers to an electronic “grade logic” that selects the proper gear for ascending and descending inclines. One result is smooth shifting up and down the scale but a second by-product is good fuel economy ratings of 23/33mpg (city/hwy)."

(We also have a Camry V6 with an ECT-i transmission.)

Jim

Jim,

Here's some info from the repair manual for the '99 LS ... the ECT recieves inputs from many sources but it's not clear how the ECT and ECM communicate. The first image suggests that a relearning stage is necessary. Perhaps a Lexus tech can shed some light on this ...

computerlearn2.jpg

computerlearn3.jpg

New Product

Announcements...

Toyota A650E

The A650E debuted in 1998 in the

Lexus GS300, GS400, SC400, and the

LS400. It is an “adaptive learn” type

of transmission with five forward

speeds. Overhaul kit #2355 will cover

all models with the A650E transmission.