Power Outlets Not Working....

RX in NC

My wife complained today that her power outlets up front on the dashboard and below the console no longer charge her Crackberry/cell phone. Thought that the problem might be her phone charger so I tried a 12-volt light that I know works. The light wouldn't work so it is definitely the power outlets in the vehicle with the problem.

The Owners Manual says that Fuses 14, 63, and 64 are dedicated to the power outlets in this vehicle. Pulled all three fuses and they all look good to my naked eye.

Does anyone have any experience with their power outlets failing as a result of a problem other than these three fuses? If so, please post the problem you uncovered and the fix that worked for you.

Thanks....

Never had this problem but it definitely sounds like a fuse. Are they they type that you can see easily if they are blown or is it more difficult? If the latter, do you have access to a continuity tester or to a light bulb, a battery and a couple of pieces of wire to test the fuses?

Is the power outlet in the back working?

Thanks for your reply.

I was working on this issue last night in the dark and all three of the indicated fuses looked good to me in what was definitely not the best of available light. Of course, just because the fuses look good doesn't necessarily mean that they ARE good. I'll take another crack at the fuses this afternoon when I have much better light for crawling around in the fuse boxes.

I never realized that there was a power outlet in the back. Is it located in the back seat area or in the cargo area? She's out in the vehicle again today so I'm not able to run outside and look for myself until she gets home this afternoon....

Fuses 63 and 64 in the driver's footwell fuse box (both are 15 amp mini low-profile fuses) were indeed blown. I couldn't see that in the darkness last night. Bought a 5-pack of 15 amp fuses at Advance Auto Parts and we're good to go.

Is it just me or are they making these damn fuses smaller and smaller? Pretty soon I'll need a microscope to check fuses....

Could be. She upgraded to a Crackberry phone back in mid-September and that mandated a different charger unit. I'll keep an eye on those new fuses. You can bet she'll let me know if it quits working again.

Her phone set-up hasn't bothered our new (to us, anyway) 2005 Jaguar S-Type though. We've had it about three weeks and no problems there so far. Sure hope it stays that way - these Jaguar electronic modules are far too complex and I don't want to open up that can of worms if I don't have to....