Oem Radio Cd Or Not Cd

motoroil

I have a '93 ES300 that did not come with a CD changer.

The guy I bought it from had a real crappy aftermarket unit in it. After much thought and other options--I'd like to put an OEM unit in it.

I want to know if I can put an OEM unit in it that was from an ES300 with CD changer. The buttons vary slightly. And the CD changer model has two harnesses to connect in the back--the non CD changer model has only one harness.

Can I put a CD changer version in there and just leave the opening for the CD changer harness empty and it will work?

Thanks!

I have a '93 ES300 that did not come with a CD changer.

The guy I bought it from had a real crappy aftermarket unit in it. After much thought and other options--I'd like to put an OEM unit in it.

I want to know if I can put an OEM unit in it that was from an ES300 with CD changer. The buttons vary slightly. And the CD changer model has two harnesses to connect in the back--the non CD changer model has only one harness.

Can I put a CD changer version in there and just leave the opening for the CD changer harness empty and it will work?

Thanks!

Why don't you want a cd changer also ? If you do not want a cd changer get a non cd headunit.

I don't want to get a CD changer also b/c then I'd have to find/figure out a way to wire in the CD changer.

I need a stereo, don't want an aftermarket, and I have a guy whose selling his '96 OEM stereo for $20. $20 sounds great to replace a broken aftermarket stereo.

I just need to know will it work.

I don't want to get a CD changer also b/c then I'd have to find/figure out a way to wire in the CD changer.

I need a stereo, don't want an aftermarket, and I have a guy whose selling his '96 OEM stereo for $20. $20 sounds great to replace a broken aftermarket stereo.

I just need to know will it work.

If you look very carefully behind the headunit you will find the second connector tucked away there and the wiring harness is in the trunk on the drivers side behind the trunk liner also tucked away up in the rear wheel well. Do you know the cd headunit works ? Buy it plug it in and enjoy your headunit, That is if some hack didn't cut/splice/mangle or replace the factory wires to get the aftermarket unit to work. Your welcome :whistles:

Thanks--except I think we might be miscommunicating.

Good news is I know the head unit works great that I'm looking at buying.

My car, however, did not come with a CD changer OEM when new.

Maybe thats rare, I dunno. So there is no wire harness for a CD changer in the console or in the trunk. My ES300 did not come with the CD changer option in '93.

I'm trying to find out if a CD changer style OEM headunit will still work, or if I have to look for an OEM non-cd changer head unit.

Thanks--except I think we might be miscommunicating.

Good news is I know the head unit works great that I'm looking at buying.

My car, however, did not come with a CD changer OEM when new.

Maybe thats rare, I dunno. So there is no wire harness for a CD changer in the console or in the trunk. My ES300 did not come with the CD changer option in '93.

I'm trying to find out if a CD changer style OEM headunit will still work, or if I have to look for an OEM non-cd changer head unit.

I understand that the car was shipped from the factory without a cd changer and cd headunit. The car IS prewired from the factory with the cd wiring harness. It is very well hidden and takes some deep searching. Believe me, I have dealt with more lexus audio/navigation components than I care to remember. Take your time and search for the wiring harness, It's there. The cd headunit will work without the changer.

Okay, I take your word for it. I'll go searching tomorrow--maybe I just can't find it in the dark.

I hunted and hunted in the trunk, couldn't find it, but it is dark.

Good to know the CD head unit will work though!

I had thought the cars that didn't come with a CD Changer weren't wired for a cd changer. But it sounds like you're saying that all es300's, whether they came with a changer or not, are wired for the changer--I never knew that!

Thanks!

I attached four pics. Two (front and back) of a CD unit, and two (front and back) of a non-cd unit, that way its easy to see how the buttons are different and how the rear plugs are different.

My car originally came with an OEM non-cd, and I don't have it, I wanna put an OEM unit in it, can only get my hands on a CD version.

So you're saying the different buttons and extra plug are no problem? That would be awesome :D

Maybe you know about this then too--I also want to replace my climate control unit--I have one from a '96. The '93 oem unit does not have the outside temperature button, but the '96 does. Can I install a '96 with that button and the unit still work (except for that button of course)? (my '93 unit needs new LCD and is in shoddy shape, the '96 unit works flawlessly).

post-82653-1231341978_thumb.jpg

post-82653-1231341986_thumb.jpg

post-82653-1231341995_thumb.jpg

post-82653-1231342002_thumb.jpg

post-82653-1231342144_thumb.jpg