Mud Flaps Vs. Splash Guards

CathGerm

I recently bought a used 2005 Lexus ES330. It's a flat silver color, and it doesn't take dirt as well as my old '98 GS 3something that was a beautiful tannish, metallic champagne-like color. Anyhow, the sides on my new vehicle are amazingly dirty after just a day on Seattle's wet roads, and I've been looking into things that might mitigate that.

After spending some time online looking for a cure, I wondered if I needed mud flaps. Then I wondered if "mud flaps" and "splash guards" were the same thing. Then I wondered if either or both of those would help.

Suggestions? And thanks in advance.

Cathy

Once the weather opens up for you guys in Seattle, I would have someone do a nice detail on your car...wash, clay-bar (sucks impurities out of the paint surface), a light polish (if required), and wax.

Once you get your surface REALLY clean and waxed, grime will have a hard time finding purchase and I think you will be much happier with your paint.

If my RX looks grimy very quickly, it is usually a sign that we need some extra attention on the paint.

If you are still unhappy with spray on the sides after you detail, then maybe some flaps :cries: may help you...personally, I don't like the look of them.

BillyShaft, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try before purchasing any flaps, guards, etc.

Also, I *love* Serenity. Have the series DVDs, and have kept the Serenity movie on my TIVO for years.

Cathy

Well in that case, you should definitely save your money on the mud flaps and get this instead:

River Tam Maidenhead Bar Beatdown Outfit

:D

Serenity = Best Movie Ever

~Brian

I think a set of mud flaps or mud guards would tarnish the ES's overall appearance quite honestly.

Tarnish the ES's overall appearance? Funny! Mudflaps have been standard on the most expensive Lexus sedans sold in many markets outside North America since the beginning. They are hardly noticeable. Take a look at the Lexus OEM mudflaps on my 1990 LS and 2000 LS in my gallery -- almost impossible to see, aren't they?

The first thing I do after buying a car without mudflaps is to install a set. I don't know how much they keep a car from looking dirty but they go along way in preventing damage from road debris and they keep road tar from building up on the sides and underneath behind the wheels.

Problem is, Lexus and some other foreign car makers do not distribute mudflaps for their cars in the U.S. market. I bought a set for my first LS in the U.K. I bought the mudflaps for my 2000 LS400 from Metro Lexus in Victoria, BC -- right across from Seattle.

Unfortunately, mudflaps were probably not available from Lexus for the 05 ES -- even in Canada as Lexusfreak said in an January 2005 thread.

I suppose you could call or email Metro to ask: http://www.metrolexusvictoria.com/index.htm Metro has an export license and ships to the U.S.. If they can get mudflaps for your ES, you could hop on a ferry and pick them up in person before having high tea at the Empress. :rolleyes:

I guess if mudflaps aren't available for the 05 ES, you could see if ones for an 05 Camry would fit -- probably would not. I would think twice about using aftermarket mudflaps -- quality and fit is generally not good. The molded mudflaps from Toyota/Lexus fit like a glove, come with some pretty fancy mounting hardware and last a car's life. Lexus mudflaps, if available, can be expensive -- the ones for my 00 LS cost US$352 for the set of four.

Edit!: I just now checked the parts reference at http://www.toyodiy.com and did not find mudflaps shown for any market in which the 05 ES and Windom were sold.