Mechanic Wanted $390 To Do Ball Joints. Take It Or Leave It?

ED.

The alternator pulley froze up on Tuesday night so Wednesday morning we had it towed out to our mechanic who said it was that. The car has been making a horrible clunking for some time and he said the ball joints needed to be replaced and said it would be $390 for parts and labor. I said to hold off and I could do them myself but when I looked at LexLS write up I saw there was a bit more work involved.

I am not sure if it is upper or lower but I am going to assume both. Car also has airbags if that makes a difference.

What are your recommendations? I am going to put more effort into this once normal time hits but as of now I see myslef slowly backing away...

Thanks

The alternator pulley froze up on Tuesday night so Wednesday morning we had it towed out to our mechanic who said it was that. The car has been making a horrible clunking for some time and he said the ball joints needed to be replaced and said it would be $390 for parts and labor. I said to hold off and I could do them myself but when I looked at LexLS write up I saw there was a bit more work involved.

I am not sure if it is upper or lower but I am going to assume both. Car also has airbags if that makes a difference.

What are your recommendations? I am going to put more effort into this once normal time hits but as of now I see myslef slowly backing away...

Thanks

Your ball joints might be bad but I would venture to say that the noise is the strut rod bushings being worn out. They sound God awful like your front end it going to fall apart when you hit a bump or something. The ball joints are probably bad also but not the source of the noise. Just my guess...

I got mine done for $420 parts and labor from my long time trusted mechanic who isn't taking me to town. I called around and they all had around the same price and they said if they have never been replaced before, there is a 99% chance that they need replaced. Got them replaced and I honestly can't tell the difference while I'm driving, but after 18 years, I'm sure they were worn out.

i think the air ride makes a difference. is your car sagging on one corner. if so you can use some kinda ooze to seal and replace the air in the suspension. if not and it is just your ball joint then it's more than likely your lower one. not sure if air ride suspension comes with upper control arms but that is where the upper ball joint is located.

Thanks guys. Yeah he said it was the lower one. I think the whole system is shot but I guess I'll start somewhere!

It's weird describing noises but this one will make you cringe. When I hear it I imagine two bones hitting together and kind of shiver. Weird, I know!