8.1 Navigation Disc Update

Shadow11

Let me start with I'm new to this site and very happy with the wealth of information you all have provided. Thank you! My current problem is with the Navigation disc. I purchased a copy of the 7.1 version for my wife's 01 RX300. After loading the disc it works for awhile then it seems to drop portions of the map. The disc is a copy so I contacted the guy I bought it from and he sent me new copy of the 8.1 version. It does the same thing. After reading about the hard drive having some issues with the drive motor I was thinking that the problem might be there. Has anyone experienced the same problem? After 32 years working on cars, I don't think I'm breaking new ground here.

Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Let me start with I'm new to this site and very happy with the wealth of information you all have provided. Thank you! My current problem is with the Navigation disc. I purchased a copy of the 7.1 version for my wife's 01 RX300. After loading the disc it works for awhile then it seems to drop portions of the map. The disc is a copy so I contacted the guy I bought it from and he sent me new copy of the 8.1 version. It does the same thing. After reading about the hard drive having some issues with the drive motor I was thinking that the problem might be there. Has anyone experienced the same problem? After 32 years working on cars, I don't think I'm breaking new ground here.

Apparently there is a company in New York that can fix them. Search for Nav fix or something and you will find it.

Apparently there is a company in New York that can fix them. Search for Nav fix or something and you will find it.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'll check it out

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Whoever sold you the burnt disc has no idea that your car does NOT, and i repeat, DOES NOT, take burnt disc. You should ask for a refund from the seller. Some cars in the earlier years, eg 2001 and 2002 RX300, 2001 LS430, 2001 and 2002 SC430 and a few more others, do not take burnt disc due to the slower laser head in the navigation unit that belongs to generation 2.

IF you put the burnt disc in your car, it will work for a while and then it doesn't. The only way to restore ur unit back to original is to purchase an OEM disc with version higher than your original before upgrading.

• 3 weeks later...
Whoever sold you the burnt disc has no idea that your car does NOT, and i repeat, DOES NOT, take burnt disc. You should ask for a refund from the seller. Some cars in the earlier years, eg 2001 and 2002 RX300, 2001 LS430, 2001 and 2002 SC430 and a few more others, do not take burnt disc due to the slower laser head in the navigation unit that belongs to generation 2.

IF you put the burnt disc in your car, it will work for a while and then it doesn't. The only way to restore ur unit back to original is to purchase an OEM disc with version higher than your original before upgrading.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to just update the laser head or disk drive completely to a new disk reader?

Shadow11

• 4 months later...

If you are positive it is not the disk but rather an internal problem, I'd like for you to read through all pages of this thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430-mod...k-detected.html

I took my ECU apart and repaired the laser eye motor, this is the part that seems to fail the most. I would not do this unless you are experienced and consider this a last resort. My navigation works fine now, but prior to this I would get "No Disk Detected" message and also my destination menu icons were greyed out when the disk could be read.

Best of luck!