Solution To Have Ipod Interface And Xm Radio On 09 Rx350

I will start this post by admitting that I am technologically challenged....... I have a 2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition with Navigation. The dealer that I purchased it from told me that there is no way that I can have BOTH the XM Radio AND an Ipod Interface installed. I had the dealer install the XM Radio kit and have just been dealing with my old FM transmitter for playing tunes from my Ipod. Needless to say, this is not the optimal solution. The static coming through the FM transmitter is driving me nuts!

I have been reading several posts regarding some aftermarket kits from various vendors that will allow me to have BOTH the XM Radio and and Ipod Interface, but wasn't sure if this kit would work along with the factory installed XM Radio hardware.

Can anyone recommend a specific kit that will work for me or give me the name or website address of a particular vendor that can help me with this?

Thanks so much for any info that anyone can provide. :(

I will start this post by admitting that I am technologically challenged....... I have a 2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition with Navigation. The dealer that I purchased it from told me that there is no way that I can have BOTH the XM Radio AND an Ipod Interface installed. I had the dealer install the XM Radio kit and have just been dealing with my old FM transmitter for playing tunes from my Ipod. Needless to say, this is not the optimal solution. The static coming through the FM transmitter is driving me nuts!

I have been reading several posts regarding some aftermarket kits from various vendors that will allow me to have BOTH the XM Radio and and Ipod Interface, but wasn't sure if this kit would work along with the factory installed XM Radio hardware.

Can anyone recommend a specific kit that will work for me or give me the name or website address of a particular vendor that can help me with this?

While it is true that you can't have both XM and the IPod interface, you CAN have XM and an auxilliary jack. I had the Vaistech SLR XM tuner installed, hooks right up to the existing amp, and had them run the aux wire to the glovebox. SAT 3 is set to AUX and the jack can be used in the headset port of any IPod, Iphon, MP3 player, laptop, etc. and play the audio over the car speakers through the existing radio. The only drawback is that you have to control the IPod from the IPod as opposed to controlling it on the navigation screen if you had the IPod interface. In my mind, a very minor inconvenience at best.....

While it is true that you can't have both XM and the IPod interface, you CAN have XM and an auxilliary jack. I had the Vaistech SLR XM tuner installed, hooks right up to the existing amp, and had them run the aux wire to the glovebox. SAT 3 is set to AUX and the jack can be used in the headset port of any IPod, Iphon, MP3 player, laptop, etc. and play the audio over the car speakers through the existing radio. The only drawback is that you have to control the IPod from the IPod as opposed to controlling it on the navigation screen if you had the IPod interface. In my mind, a very minor inconvenience at best.....

Thanks SOOOO much for the info. That sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I don't mind controlling the IPod from the IPod. I just want to eliminate the static and interference that I am dealing with using the FM transmitter. Is there a patricular model number for the part that you had installed? Do I go straight to the Vaistech website to get it?

Thanks again! :D

For me, the device that has absolutely no static, produces crystal clear sound and costs only $10.00 is the cassette "tape" that just slides in the cassette slot and the other end connects to the headphone port on iPod. Far better than the FM transmitter. I got mine from Coby.

It's not true -- I have exactly that in my '09 RX350. Dealer installed (or possibly had an autosound shop install) both XM and iPod adapter. My car has Navigation.

I just installed a Vaitech SL2vi into my IS 350 with nav. And it has a direct jack that allows you to have Sirrus/XFM also. I have Sirrus, Ipod, and Ipod video all on my stereo. Touch screen controls and steering wheel controls all work. I love it! I was using the aux. jack before. The sound is much better than the aux., and the stereo pauses the ipod music while you get a call. Then when you hang up it resumes the music where you left off. In the aux in mode, even though the bluetooth phone overrides the aux. input, the device would continue to play. I've talked right thru 4 or 5 songs! This model was a bit more expensive than the other models though.

My wife's 09 RX350 has navigation but NO aux input for her IPOD. I was really surprised. Is there some way (maybe something already mentioned) to add an input for her ipod that would integrate it with the nav system so it works as described above, i.e. the steering wheel controls, phone and nav screen all interact with it (the ipod)? She doesn't care about XM or SIRIUS...it'd just be nice to be able to access her IPOD through the Nav system, if possible.

It's not true -- I have exactly that in my '09 RX350. Dealer installed (or possibly had an autosound shop install) both XM and iPod adapter. My car has Navigation.

I had mine done at the autoshop that the Lexus dealer uses, and that is what they told me. They put the Vaistech SLR in, maybe you have the SLR2, which another poster mentioned. Wish I had known about it when I had mine installed. Do you have the IPod adapter, which lets you control the IPod from the Nav screen, or a headphone jack?

I had mine done at the autoshop that the Lexus dealer uses, and that is what they told me. They put the Vaistech SLR in, maybe you have the SLR2, which another poster mentioned. Wish I had known about it when I had mine installed. Do you have the IPod adapter, which lets you control the IPod from the Nav screen, or a headphone jack?

I have the adapter and control is through the nav screen ... although some of the functions become disabled when the car is moving. I expect that the steering wheel controls will operate the iPhone as well, although I don't remember if I tried that.

• 2 years later...

Any update to this based on available technology? I was told I could get both XM and iPod kits added but the costs are high (I have zero ability to do this) -- $550 for the XM and $450 for the iPod. Both would be controllable through navigation. I don't really care about the iPod being controlled through the navigation so I might use the simple tape player adapter for that. But ideally I'd like a cleaner solution for both XM and iPod and nothing that relies on radio signals (I live in an urban area) and I don't want Sirius, I want XM (baseball).

Thoughts? Should I just splurge for the XM integration and use the $10 solution for iPod? Is there another product out there that will solve both in one at a reasonable cost? Anything on the technology horizon I should wait for? Should I do this at the dealer or will Best Buy have the same kit for less money (installed)?

Thanks in advance.