Winter Wheels For New (to Us) Rx330

Dunlapjc

Hello Everyone,

This site has been a tremendous resource as I start to learn about our new to us '04 RX330. I've been doing all my own Toyota and Volvo Maintenence/Repair for years now and this site looks great.

I'd like to get a set of winter wheels and snow tires for our AWD RX330, as the 18" wheels/tires are marginal in the snow and one single fender bender on the insurance deductable wouldhave easily paid for a winter tire/wheel set.

What would anyone recommend for winter tires/wheels. Tire-rack looks to be useless as they're sold out in anything that fits the vehicle. They don't show anything in a steel wheel that would fit, so I'm not sure where to go.

Does anybody know what sizes fit? Is there clearance for 16" steel wheels? Does anybody have a good source for 17" wheels?

Thanks in advance,

-Jon

Consider contacting your nearest Lexus dealer to see if it has any "take off" wheels. I bought a set of new take-off OEM wheels from a Lexus dealer to use with snow tires on my first LS. I see that, as of today, Tire Rack has three different models of snow tires available in 225/65-17 for your RX:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3

Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

I'm guessing that 17" wheels off a Toyota car or SUV would fit -- is there a Toyota dealer nearby where you could do a trial fitting or do you have friends with a Toyota with 17" wheels?

Craigslist can be an excellent source of wheels.

Snow tire stocks seem to be down more than usual for this time of the year -- the bad winter and the economy are likely both a factor. I noticed today that Tire Rack has restocked the Blizzak WS60 I need since I last checked about 10 days ago. I usually wait until spring to buy snow tires when they go on sale but maybe I'll go ahead and order replacement snow tires for my LS today since they may be out by Spring.

Hello Everyone,

This site has been a tremendous resource as I start to learn about our new to us '04 RX330. I've been doing all my own Toyota and Volvo Maintenence/Repair for years now and this site looks great.

I'd like to get a set of winter wheels and snow tires for our AWD RX330, as the 18" wheels/tires are marginal in the snow and one single fender bender on the insurance deductable wouldhave easily paid for a winter tire/wheel set.

What would anyone recommend for winter tires/wheels. Tire-rack looks to be useless as they're sold out in anything that fits the vehicle. They don't show anything in a steel wheel that would fit, so I'm not sure where to go.

Does anybody know what sizes fit? Is there clearance for 16" steel wheels? Does anybody have a good source for 17" wheels?

Thanks in advance,

-Jon

You can get a set of 18" wheels and tires in stock from tirerack for $800. What's wrong with those?

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance,

-Jon

I put Michelin LTX's on my RX300 AWD and LOVE them.

I run them year round and I have gone past many a 4 wheeler in the ditch.

Nothing in over a year in Colorado has stopped me yet.

The LTX M/S is a GREAT tire, I took it out in a parking lot after I got them and "played" - I was amazed at how much it took to break it loose. A heck of a lot better than my F-150 with BFG All Terrain TA's and it's got lockers in it...

Mike