The New Lexus Hs Hybrid!

Lexus apparently has a new hybrid in the midst of it's already prestige hybrid lineup! The HS250H. There is no information whatsoever on Lexus' website about this new vehicle and they say that it will be revealed on January 11, 2009 at the Detroit Auto Show I believe.

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/HSHybrid.html

Has anyone else heard of this new Lexus model? If so what opinions does everyone have on what it could be, or better yet, does anyone out there have any "inside" information on the model haha B) ? I personally believe it's a hybrid of the current IS250, or a version somewhat like the ES350!

The is the ONLY concept picture I could find anywhere for the HS!

post-68371-1230443424_thumb.jpg

Yeah it would be sweet if they made an ES hybrid! It does look smaller than the ES, the reason I said that is because the tail end looks very similar to the ES. It maybe would share a hybrid chassis if they base it on a Toyota vehicle. The thing is that idk if they are going to base it or make it an all new vehicle?!?! I guess time will tell. Correct me if I'm wrong but the front in this illustration (aside from wheels) almost looks like a Prius haha :lol: and except for the tail end there are small styling cues that are similar as well.

post-68371-1230483227_thumb.jpg

post-68371-1230483305_thumb.jpg

It might even be smaller than the IS, I wonder what is the starting price this HS? If the IS uses the same flatform as the Corolla, the ES the same as the Camry, and the HS the same as the Prius, then I suppose the HS will priced between the IS and the ES? 32-33K ish? Will they stress the importance of fuel economy on this one, or more on performance like other Lexus hybrids? I'm excited to learn more about it, but I don't I think I will buy this one, I would buy a Prius if I want fuel economy, Lexus should be all about performance and acceptable MPG (like RX400h or GS450h).

so since the prius platform is about to be updated will this be the lithium ion battery set to go into the next gen prius, and will it get factory plug in capability?

did u see the prius owner in cali who wired his prius with an inverter and used it as a generator for his house during a blackout? powered what he needed for three days using 5 gal of gas. the prius engine turned on every half our to keep the battery charged.

As far as I know, third generation Prius (2010) still going to have Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery, however, my guess would be that the new Prius will be more efficient than the current Prius due to a new feature called exhaust-heat recovery system developed by Toyota in which reduces engine warm-up time (we see this on the new Lexus 2010 RX450h which resulted in about 8% more efficient than the current RX400h). I think Toyota is currently working on Lithim-Ion battery and plug-in Prius. I think they have plug-in Prius already, but it was not mass produced yet. I think Toyota will be more pressure to come up with Lithium-Ion battery soon as we've seen today, Ford has unleashed the Fusion Hybrid which has about 8 MPG more than the Camry Hybrid in city driving.

Speaking of HS250h, just found this article from Insideline, here is a quote from it, it's almost laughable when I read it. "It is expected to be Lexus' most affordable hybrid model, priced below the GS 450h (MSRP $57,225), with more of an emphasis on fuel economy than performance." I mean it's either the writer Paul Lienert was not doing his homework, or Lexus is really out of touch. First. the GS450h is not even the most affordable hybrid models for Lexus, it's the RX400h, which is about 42K MSRP base. Second, if this vehicle emphasize on "fuel economy", shouldn't it be priced around the ES since it's going to be smaller and people buying this car to save gas, not horse power? Anyway, you can read the whole thing at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=138546

It might even be smaller than the IS, I wonder what is the starting price this HS? If the IS uses the same flatform as the Corolla, the ES the same as the Camry, and the HS the same as the Prius, then I suppose the HS will priced between the IS and the ES? 32-33K ish? Will they stress the importance of fuel economy on this one, or more on performance like other Lexus hybrids? I'm excited to learn more about it, but I don't I think I will buy this one, I would buy a Prius if I want fuel economy, Lexus should be all about performance and acceptable MPG (like RX400h or GS450h).

The IS is not based on the Corolla platform. The Corolla is a FWD 4cyl car, the IS is a completely different car on a totally different RWD platform. The only three Lexus vehicles that are based on US Toyota platforms are the ES (Camry), the RX (Camry) and the LX (Land Cruiser). The rest are all Lexus specific platforms.

The HS is said to be focused on fuel economy not performance. Its all about giving people options. I have an ES and a Prius, and I could never drive the Prius on a daily basis. Its too blah and uncomfortable. Now a Lexus with 45MPG, I might just be talked into that.

In terms of pricing I would say mid to upper $40k range. The ES ranges from $36-$44k and the IS from $33-45k (not counting the IS-F) and the Camry Hybrid is $35k.

In terms of size, the Prius is small outside, but inside its a midsized car. The ES doesn't have all that much more room. Its MUCH larger inside than a Corolla for instance.

The Prius is $30k fully loaded, so the HS is going to be considerably more.