New

Recently bought a 2003 GS300 with 44k miles. Like new and well maintained by local previous owner. Car is tight and drives like new. Very quiet and responsive. New Goodyear Avenger tires are a bit noisy, but mostly on concrete. I was sold on the I6 configuration. Last car was a 960 volvo and still have a 328i conv. both I6 engines. Not having owned a Lexus before is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for in maintaining the car? Any heads up would be appreciated. Thanks............. Richard

Recently bought a 2003 GS300 with 44k miles. Like new and well maintained by local previous owner. Car is tight and drives like new. Very quiet and responsive. New Goodyear Avenger tires are a bit noisy, but mostly on concrete. I was sold on the I6 configuration. Last car was a 960 volvo and still have a 328i conv. both I6 engines. Not having owned a Lexus before is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for in maintaining the car? Any heads up would be appreciated. Thanks............. Richard

I just purchased a used 1993 SC300 with 47,000 miles. Mine is also like new and has been serviced regularly. I have found that the passenger seat will not go all the way forward or back. It will move slightly and then start to twist rather than contimue in a straight fluid motion. Before joining this forum I found several old postings on the "little white disc" in the gear assembly. I will be taking my Lexus into the dealer next week to get an additional key made and would like them to look at the seat, but.... I don't want them taking advantage of a "helpless woman" so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks for any help. Rhonda

I just purchased a used 1993 SC300 with 47,000 miles. Mine is also like new and has been serviced regularly. I have found that the passenger seat will not go all the way forward or back. It will move slightly and then start to twist rather than contimue in a straight fluid motion. Before joining this forum I found several old postings on the "little white disc" in the gear assembly. I will be taking my Lexus into the dealer next week to get an additional key made and would like them to look at the seat, but.... I don't want them taking advantage of a "helpless woman" so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks for any help. Rhonda

yes rhonda but the maintenance and problems on the gs and sc series are not always the same..... we really have no seat problems to speak of on the gs! OH and u bought a 1993 sc WITH ONLY 47K on the odometer? sorry i just find that hard to buy a 15, fixing to be 16, year old car with ONLY 47k

congrats richard, make sure all maintenance up to date, you stay on top of maintenance for the future. since your just getting car to be on the safe side you might wanna change ALL fluids, change air filters including cabins, maybe change spark plugs (i think they a PITA on the gs300 though, not sure as i have the gs430 and the v8 isnt bad)

maintenance in the future that will NEED to be get done

ball joints (think they recommend at 60k but i just did mine at 100k)

servo motors prone to failing

door locks can kind of be a issue

some of us have a awful shimmy,shake at 60mph or 80mph....

cant think bout much else off the top of my head

I also have an 03 GS300. Remember that on a forum you have people from all over the country pitching in so it can sometimes seem like a car is nothing but problems. Knock on wood, I have had no major issues. I did find a lot of dead leaves in my cabin AC filter but it was cheap ($18) and easy to replace myself. Now I just clean it out every June and December. The only other problem I've had is that the cable for my hood release latch froze up on me. My local Toyota garage where I get the oil changed fixed it for free. They just needed to lube it up. BTW, the local Lexus dealer charges $75 for an oil change and the local Toyota garage charges $26. It's actually in the same family of dealerships. They use the same oil but my filters, which I'm told are the same, say Toyota instead of Lexus. It may be the same in your area. Of course the Toyota waiting room doesn't have leather loungers and a pool table but I'm OK with that.

Also, a good friend of mine has an 04 BMW 5 series. I think the 535. Anyway, he loves to drive it but is trading it in for a Lexus GS350 because he's stuck in the garage wayyy too often while I'm out driving my Lexus. Hope you have a great experience!

I also have an 03 GS300. Remember that on a forum you have people from all over the country pitching in so it can sometimes seem like a car is nothing but problems. Knock on wood, I have had no major issues. I did find a lot of dead leaves in my cabin AC filter but it was cheap ($18) and easy to replace myself. Now I just clean it out every June and December. The only other problem I've had is that the cable for my hood release latch froze up on me. My local Toyota garage where I get the oil changed fixed it for free. They just needed to lube it up. BTW, the local Lexus dealer charges $75 for an oil change and the local Toyota garage charges $26. It's actually in the same family of dealerships. They use the same oil but my filters, which I'm told are the same, say Toyota instead of Lexus. It may be the same in your area. Of course the Toyota waiting room doesn't have leather loungers and a pool table but I'm OK with that.

Also, a good friend of mine has an 04 BMW 5 series. I think the 535. Anyway, he loves to drive it but is trading it in for a Lexus GS350 because he's stuck in the garage wayyy too often while I'm out driving my Lexus. Hope you have a great experience!

yeah i forgot the hood cable is a common problem on ours too....i had to fix mine when i got it. yes i know u talked about the hood latch but for most of us, its actually our cable and its a cheap fix, lube will only work for so long (part from sewell is like 30 i think) oh fyi change your filter more than every 6 months.

yeah i forgot the hood cable is a common problem on ours too....i had to fix mine when i got it. yes i know u talked about the hood latch but for most of us, its actually our cable and its a cheap fix, lube will only work for so long (part from sewell is like 30 i think) oh fyi change your filter more than every 6 months.

How often do you change the cabin AC filter? Also, let me make sure I git this straight. You bought the cable for the hood release from Sewell for about $30 and replaced it yourself? You're right about the lube being a temporary solution. How complicated was the install? Are there any links that you're aware of with pics?

Thanks.

How often do you change the cabin AC filter? Also, let me make sure I git this straight. You bought the cable for the hood release from Sewell for about $30 and replaced it yourself? You're right about the lube being a temporary solution. How complicated was the install? Are there any links that you're aware of with pics?

Thanks.

since i am a heating and air guy by trade, i change it ALOT more often then most people. i think most people do it ever 6 months but i try and clean mine monthly and change it every 3 months as when you use heat OR a/c this filter is being used and you wouldnt change your house filter ONLY every 6 months (but dear lord some people do) so i change/check mine frequently! i think it was 30....it was either 30 or 45.(JUST GOT OFF PHONE WITH PETER AT SEWELL ITS $30.17, i forgot to sk for the part # as i can tell you a way to get it cheaper from them but you need a part #) it was really rather a simple install. no links that i know...lemme look (did you try and search for this?)

Yeah I tried a search but I ended up looking through dozens of streams that contained the words "hood" and "release" and "cable" but the closest I got was people who had the same problem as I've had; there were no specific discussions about the procedure or difficulty of changing the cable. I may check clublexus. BTW, I got the part # from Sewell but I left it at work so I don't have it right now.

Yeah I tried a search but I ended up looking through dozens of streams that contained the words "hood" and "release" and "cable" but the closest I got was people who had the same problem as I've had; there were no specific discussions about the procedure or difficulty of changing the cable. I may check clublexus. BTW, I got the part # from Sewell but I left it at work so I don't have it right now.

try over there if u like....wherevere gets u help

this is one of the best posts from over there and it was dudes first post. im all about info wherever i can get it!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...you-search.html