Question About Ect Button

LexSC400328

hey everyone..im sure we all know we have a button on our center console that says ECT on it. i read in the manal its for aggressive driving, but could someone please tell me exactly what it does regarding the transmission? what happens differently ?

also, im glad gas is so cheap now because im averaging 10 mpg (driving normally i swear) something isnt right...cause i can smell gas every now and then when i get out of the car...but anyways besides the gas situation, everything else is fine. shes got 157,000 and her and still looks/ drives like she has 5,700 on her. i live in the heart of New England therefore we get pounded with snow and close to zero degree temps every day in the winter..and my SC starts right up for me everyday no problem. and also its greaat in the snow, MUCH better than i was expecting..all i had to do was throw on some snows and it hasnt gotten stuck even in 6inches of pure snow. ;)

i love this car and im just curious of what exactly this little secret weapon button is up to when i put it on PWR

If you're getting poor fuel economy and smelling gas, you're cats are prob hurting and sensors are suspect. You should be getting a cel and popping a code. As for ECT, it means Electronic Control Transmission. It controls the shift pattern for the tranny. In the PWR mode, the tranny will upshift at a higher rev depending on the throttle opening. This puts the engine deeper into the powerband. Quicker acceleration. But wouldn't use it in the snow. :P

ECT switch on a 2000 SC3 also has a SNOW position. Good tires and a full gas tank puts 120 lbs almost over rear axle. Handles just like a well balanced 3500 lb RWD vehicle would be expected. Does fine in Connecticut shoreline mixes of freezing rain and snow.

• 3 months later...
ECT switch on a 2000 SC3 also has a SNOW position. Good tires and a full gas tank puts 120 lbs almost over rear axle. Handles just like a well balanced 3500 lb RWD vehicle would be expected. Does fine in Connecticut shoreline mixes of freezing rain and snow.

GrnHrnt, Did you sell a 1994 Sc400 back around 2002?

If you're getting poor fuel economy and smelling gas, you're cats are prob hurting and sensors are suspect. You should be getting a cel and popping a code. As for ECT, it means Electronic Control Transmission. It controls the shift pattern for the tranny. In the PWR mode, the tranny will upshift at a higher rev depending on the throttle opening. This puts the engine deeper into the powerband. Quicker acceleration. But wouldn't use it in the snow. :P

Actually the Normal mode makes for better acceleration from a dead stop. Ect is better from a roll. I know that doesn't make any sense and I didnt beleive it either but there is a dyno chart that shows the results of both modes.